Chapter 44.

I knew very well how warm and soft Smith's body was as I watched him sleep on Brian's large arm. Only when someone else held him did I ever think of how small he was.

"You look well," Brian said, Smith was holding onto his thumb, sleeping with his mouth open. "He's smaller than I thought he'd be... Small, just like you, Micah."

"He's just three weeks old," I muttered. "And I'm not small..."

Brian chuckled, glancing up at me over his glasses. I must've looked blurry. "You're not particularly large, is what I'm saying."

"Don't poke the tiger..." Kennedy nervously chuckled.

"Tiger?" Brian mocked, careful not to wake Smith. "He's a kitten..."

"You're not the first one to say that..." I grumbled.

"Must be true then..."

Had my baby not been in his lap, on his arm, I would have smacked him. Brian grinned, knowing that he had just won. "So," Kennedy cleared his throat which interrupted our staring contest. "Will you be staying in town now that Corey's moved into your apartment?"

"Well he hasn't 'moved in', he just stays with me every other week or so. The original plan was to graduate and move, but I can't leave the kid, and who'll babysit Smithy if I leave?" He cooed and kissed Smith's forehead.

I held my hand up and raised my fingers as I counted every potential baby sitter. "My parents, Corey, our neighbours, we could hire someone..." Brian looked unimpressed, frowning slightly.

He was about to answer when the front door opened quietly. It was past seven, Jayden must have just finished his shift. The time surprised me, it had been quite some time since Brian arrived and yet it felt like thirty minutes.

"Daddy's home! I bought toilet paper, so we can poop all we want now!" He said enthusiastically as he shuffled inside. "It'll be a pooping party!" He swung around the corner with his usual mischievous grin, holding a large package of toilet paper. When he spotted Brian, the grin melted into an awkward smile. Seeing how embarrassed Jayden felt gave me far too much satisfaction than it should have. Ever since we came home from the hospital, he had entered the house after work with the same cliché sentence, probably thinking that only Kennedy, Smith and I would ever hear it. But at the table sat Brian who was basically my brother and he had just seen the usually smug Jayden skip into the house calling himself daddy with toilet paper in his arms, declared that it was time for a pooping party. The sadistic amusement of seeing him embarrassed was all too pleasurable. "Hello..." He stuttered, voice cracking as an adolescent boy's would. I smirked.

"Hi..." Brian answered. "Toilet paper sale?"

Jayden blushed in embarrassment and cleared his throat, trying to recover from the voice crack. I wish I could have recorded the moment. "Yeah..." he nodded.

"Yeah, I bought some earlier..."

Mr social butterfly awkwardly scrambled out of the room and snuck into the bathroom where I heard him sticking the rolls of toilet paper in the cupboard below the faucet before washing his hands. When he came back out, he seemed to have collected himself again, but a faint blush remained in his face.

"So, daddy," Brian snickered slyly. "Congrats on the baby."

"Shut up, Brian..." he grumbled. Usually when Jayden came home he would go straight for Smith, showering him with kisses and cuddles, unfortunately for Jayden, Smith was in Brian's arms. Having already embarrassed himself, Jayden would certainly not take further measures to ensure that he did not completely humiliate himself. But I could see his fingers twitching as he looked at his sleeping son. He was jealous that Brian was holding him. Honestly, I was a bit jealous too.