Chapter 14.

Jayden shrugged as a smirk spread over his face. I instinctively wrapped my arms around my waist, hugging my stomach in a way that wouldn't be too obvious, protecting my shrimp. But what did it matter if Jayden had told Kennedy anyway?

"When'd you two become best friends?" I pouted at them.

"N-never!" Kennedy stuttered.

"Just talking about fifty shades of grey..." Jayden smirked and shot me an overly fatuous look.

I blushed intensely. The last time I used that as an excuse we'd been talking about our shrimp. My stomach fluttered at the words our and I blushed even harder. It was unfair how emotional I got about everything. Was Jayden hinting that he told Kennedy? I gave him a wide-eyed look and he just shook his head, but I wasn't convinced. Kennedy was an awkward guy but he'd never been this awkward before. I frowned, something was off about both of them.

"So what did professor Perkins say?" Kennedy asked, avoiding my suspicious gaze.

"He just told me to stop falling asleep in class or he'd mark me as absent..." I grumbled. My arms were still wrapped around my waist and I sighed, feeling guilty that I couldn't give my baby shrimp what it needed.

"He did WHAT?" Jayden growled. I looked up at him, surprised to see him going from smug to raging in such a short moment. "Why didn't you tell him that you're-"

"That I have insomnia?" I snapped at him, staring daggers into his very soul. How careless could this man get? How dumb could one be? And to think that he was studying biomedical engineering? What a joke! "Jayden, you barely know me so get out of my face..." I growled. "It's none of your business..."

The anger in Jayden's eyes went out like a light. His face looked empty, broken. My words had completely thrown him out of character and he stood next to Kennedy, staring straight through me. He looked so sad.

"Sorry... that was a bit harsh..." I yelped. Jayden just stared.

"It's fine... you're right... I don't know you." He mumbled. "Whatever's going on in your life really isn't my business, is it? I'll leave you alone for now..." His voice cracked and he started walking away.

"Jayden!" I called, grabbing his hand. He yanked it away.

"Didn't you just tell me to get out of your face?" He shot back at me, sending me a threatening look as if to say 'don't try your luck'.

"I'm sorry... I didn't mean it like that..." I frowned as he sighed. Wasn't I supposed to be the one who got easily upset? "Don't go..."

"Do you want me to stay or leave, Micah? You can't tell me to get out of your face and then ask me to stay..." he grumbled. For some reason, I felt as if his question had more depth then he showed. As if he was asking me if I wanted him to stay or leave forever.

"I want you to stay..." I whimpered. His arm twitched when a tear ran down my cheek, he obviously wanted to wipe it.

"How about I stay when you tell your admirer your little secret..." He said lowly in a somewhat hurt tone as he looked at my stomach. I couldn't help but throw my hands over it, hiding my flat stomach in my embrace. Jayden hesitantly reached for my waist but quickly pulled his hand back. "Text me when he knows..."

Jayden walked off, leaving me staring at his back as he made his way to his car.

"So Mr. Perkins just scolded you?" Kennedy asked, breaking the silence.

I turned to him and nodded. Kennedy looked so innocent and pure. Withering guilt filled my chest. He deserved to know, right? My face heated up as I looked into his eyes. He was blushing too. I felt like a schoolgirl about to confess. Except this confession wasn't the one I knew he was hoping for. Dread filled my body like poison. I trembled. Who wouldn't be timorous in a situation like this?