Chapter 43.

Mom laughed at me when I told her why I was freaking out. She laughed so hard that I think she accidentally farted but when I asked her about the apparent fart sound, she denied it like a child caught with its hand in the cookie jar. Despite her laughing, I managed to squeeze some hefty advice out of her. Apparently, I was supposed to dress casually while I was supposed to dress Smith kinda fancy to snatch as many compliments as possible, if I had anything, I could bring some snacks or sweets, but I didn't have shit in the pantry. All we had was pasta, some half-full cream and milk cartons, spices and some ginger ale. I knew that there were frozen ham and frozen vegetables in the freezer but it wasn't as if I could swing by Rayah's house with a bag of peas and my baby and expect to be treated as an adult. I turned to Smith where I laid him in the middle of our large bed. He was staring at me while sucking on his pacifier with his usual frown. I smiled at him, he frowned a lot, just like his mama.

It took Rayah about five seconds to open the door with a wide smile. The moment she opened the door the smell of spices and food swelled out. My mouth watered, it smelled like a Persian restaurant. Compared to her house, our house looked like shit. She had colourful carpets, decorative tables full of pretty tchotchkes. On the walls, there were mirrors and paintings. There were curtains and beautiful lamps. I was in complete awe. Despite having so much stuff, the house still felt open and bright. It looked homey and comfortable, making me relax as I saw Rayah smiling at Smith as I held him to my chest, he stared at her with his usual frown and it was a bit embarrassing how he seemed to refuse to not look like a constipated asshole.

"We didn't have any snacks to bring..." I mumbled nervously.

"That's completely fine! Emma brought some cinnamon buns!"

I tried to smile as I saw the short, curvy woman stick her head out from what I assumed to be the kitchen and dining room. As I stepped inside the house, I couldn't help but feel ever so slightly offended as Rayah had not told me that Emma would be here too. Now it looked even more embarrassing that I had not brought anything.

"Hi, Micah!" Emma said softly. By her leg stood a small child, just learning to walk. A warm smile stretched my face into a smile. To think I used to hate kids was strange.

"Hi..." I said. Within a second, two more children poked their heads out. Kalila and what I assumed to be Emma and Robin's older kid. I felt like a bit of an outcast as I followed Rayah into the house. Both her and Emma had toddlers while I had a newborn.

"This is my oldest, Angela D. and my youngest, Bayard."

"Everyone calls him Bay!" The older sister of the child at Emma's leg said.

"And they call you Angie?" I asked her, crouching down to meet her eyes as I held Smith. He groaned as I moved, not liking the new position. Angela stared at me wide-eyed.

"How did you know?" She whispered in awe.

"I'm a fairy..." I snickered, enjoying how the innocent child had no idea what I truly meant by that statement. Emma snorted while Rayah raised her brow in confusion. It was obvious who was queer and who wasn't.

I smiled at Emma's coily haired children, they were adorable. Not as adorable as Smith but still adorable.

"Is this your baby?" Angie asked, shyly walking toward me, holding Kalila's hand.

"Yeah. His name is Smith."

"He's cute..."

We settled down at the table shortly after I arrived. With Smith sleeping in my lap, I sipped a large cup of hot chocolate while Rayah breastfed Cyrus. Emma was sitting by my side, occasionally giving her children a strict 'No!' When they did something naughty or uncivil such as deciding to have a pillow fight with Kalila's dolls. Anytime she would yell at her kids it would startle me. She looked like the sweetest little thing with her Diana Ross afro and her sweet almond-shaped eyes. She had a constant look of contentment and happiness, so when this beautiful, calm and sweet woman snapped at her little Diana Ross afro kids, I jumped in fear and surprise with them.