Chapter 40.

Small feet tapped gently against the inside of my belly. I could see their outlines on my skin. Smith wriggled and swirled and his small fists patting my hand on the other side of the wall of flesh. I was home alone, Kennedy and Jayden had just finished their classes and both had to work. I had just started watching the miniseries about Chernobyl and Smith was being extremely gentle with his kicking for the first time in what felt like forever. His kicks felt more like the fluttering wings of a butterfly than the usual Jorge Masvidal that he usually acted like. I stopped drawing circles around Smith's faint footprints. With my temper and Jayden's love for working out, it was not totally unlikely that Smith would end up taking an interesting in martial arts. I sighed, hating the thought of my baby professionally beating people up like Israel Adesanya and Jon Jones. Of course, if he turned out to be as good as those two, I probably wouldn't complain, as much at least.

I watched Stellan Skarsgård and Jared Harris talking on the screen, surrounded by the cold and dramatic lighting. A perk of dating Jayden: HBO. A perk of dating Kennedy: Disney+. I chuckled at the thought. It was comically silly how different they were. While Jayden watched Game of Thrones and Vikings, Kennedy sniffled as Bambi's Mom died and knew all the names of Andy's toys in toy story. Considering the people Smith would be raised by, he would be raised by, he would either become a UFC fighter, a jock or an absolute softy. Depending on if or how often Brian babysat, maybe he would become a total geek. The worst part was I had no idea what sounded better in my ears as I did not like the sound of any of the options I could think of.

"Hey," I said loud enough for Smith to, technically, hear it even though he could not understand or care. "You okay in there?" His response came in the way of the squirming he was already doing. He was not actually responding, I knew that, yet I smiled. It felt so odd when he moved. "Please don't be like me. I'd rather have you be a mix of Jayden and Kennedy. They'd make a good mix..." Staying silent for a moment, taking deep breaths as I stared at my bump, stared at how large my nipples had become. I would really have to start over on my body after he was born. Start over to look like a man again. Like myself. I closed my eyes. Smith was being gentle, meaning that I could nap.

"You're not a girl. Your feelings are what determine your identity," Hannah said and kissed my forehead.

We were fourteen, she was still struggling with her confidence as a woman and did not dare put on feminine clothes or grow out her hair as long as she wanted. She had always known that she was a girl, even if her birth certificate said otherwise and despite what hid between her legs. She was never the problem, the people with conservative and judgemental thoughts were. People who told her that it was a phase, that she was confused or that she was just gay. Her parents were always supportive and at home, she could dress however she wanted and since the age of five, they had been referring to her as Hannah instead of William. She had identified as a girl since she understood what gender was, she had always been a girl and been very clear to her parents that she was not a 'stupid, yucky boy'.

"Just cause I have a dick doesn't mean I'm a man... just cause you've got some feminine parts doesn't mean you're a girl. Don't be your own saboteur, be proud of your colours! You're a fucking rainbow, bitch!"

I woke to Jayden's soft lips against my forehead. I knew it was Jayden not only because these lips were fuller and warmer, but also because Kennedy would never dare to wake me.

"Have you been bugging your mommy?" He hummed as he bent down to my stomach, tugging my shirt up and gently rubbing his nose over the exposed skin. "Did you let him rest?"