Chapter 13.

The signals came through slowly. Every beeping sound was just as boring.

"Hello?" My mother answered on the other end.

"Hey mom, it's me..." I said as cheerfully as possible.

"Micah!" She exclaimed. "How are you doing, sweetheart?"

"I'm... fine?" The words came out as a question and I facepalmed. Before my mom could comment on my pathetic response I decided to just go straight to the topic. "Hey, do you think you and dad could come down to the campus?" I asked.

"Oh? Uh... sure. Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, I just have to tell you something and I'd rather do it in person than over the phone..."

"Alright..." My mom mumbled. "Let's see... We could be there in about two hours if we left now... But Sean's is in the shower so I think we can leave for another thirty minutes... do you want us to come to the apartment?"

"I'd rather meet at a cafe..." I said and tried to swallow down the knot in my throat. If I told them in the apartment and they reacted badly, I would have nowhere to run to. A cafe would be better since I would be able to leave at any time.

"We'll be there in three hours, okay?"

"See you then... bye, love you..."

"Love you too, sweetheart!" My mom said and I could hear it in her voice that she was smiling before the call ended.

My parents were far too kind. Even if they lived far away they'd still drive down to the college just because I wanted to talk. I needed to get a car so I could visit them more often but I couldn't afford it. I turned in the bed and nuzzled my pillows. It was 9 am and despite the two-hour nap I had just taken, I was still tired. Setting an alarm for two hours and thirty minutes, I pulled my blankets up to my chin and got comfortable on the bed again. Brian had been right about resting, I really needed it. I had never been this sleepy before.

I slowly sipped my hot chocolate. I had gotten to the cafe too early. I knew that they knew what cafe I meant when I spoke of it on the phone. We always went to the same cafe when they came to visit. Mostly because it was the cosiest and cutest. It was a garden-themed cafe with lots of plants inside, it always smelled of fresh coffee and flowers. The mug of chocolate was comfortably warm in my hands. This cafe had a generous student discount and I had gotten the chocolate for a dollar. While I sipped at the chocolate though, the scent of the coffee was making me nauseous and I focused on the chocolate to avoid having to throw up.

My eyes wandered to a stroller in the other end of the room. A mother was breastfeeding her baby while chatting with another woman. Would I breastfeed? Could I breastfeed? The mother was smiling brightly as her baby suckled and my stomach fluttered as I looked at them. I probably looked like a pervert; eying a mom's breasts but I couldn't help it. The child in her arms had once been a small shrimp, just like the small life inside of me. Would I need to get a stroller or could I just carry my baby in a baby-björn? That would probably strain my back though. A stroller would probably be better. I'd have to get a second hand one though, nothing fancy for obvious economical reasons. Babies don't need strollers for too long anyway.

The cafe's door opened and I shifted my attention to the sound. "Micah!" My mom exclaimed softly and held her arms out. I stood up and walked into her embrace.

"Hi, mom..." I smiled against her neck. "Hey, dad..." after hugging my parents I sat back down as they went over to the desk to order what they wanted. My attention wandered back to the mother and her baby who seemed to have finished its meal because it was sound asleep in its mother's arms. It was so small and fragile. Its head was naked and it was dressed in adorable little Manchester pants and a grey long-sleeved shirt. The baby couldn't have been older than a few weeks. Ten weeks at the most. I wondered what its name was.