Chapter 24.

My heartbeat slowed. His dad? What about his dad? Jayden never talked about his family, probably because I never asked. Was it wrong of me to be eavesdropping?

"I feel ya'..." Hannah said.

"When do you think Micah will be back?" Jayden mumbled.

"Well that's up to him, how should I know?"

"You said he was taking the bus, didn't you? Tomorrow or today..? Early in the morning or later?"

"How should I know?" Hannah murmured. "As I said, it's up to him. He could come home now or tomorrow or in the middle of the night..."

I closed my eyes and slipped my clothes off, throwing them on the floor. I was getting strangely tired as if laying down triggered an explosion of melatonin within my system. I buried my head in between two pillows, letting it sink until I had one pillow on each side of my head. Out of habit, I pulled the covers up to just below my nose, snuggling into the cool sheets. As the drowsiness weighed heavier on my consciousness, I decided that I didn't care about eavesdropping on the conversation taking place outside the door. They might've been talking about me, but whatever. Listening to it was boring and sleep was extremely tempting. It's funny how uninteresting, unimportant and meaningless everything becomes when you're tired enough. Need to lock the door? Sleep. Need to change out of your clothes? Sleep. An important assignment due at midnight? Sleep. Who needs a life when there is sleep? Responsibilities become something as meaningless as memorising the geography of a fictional world inhabited by fictional people.

I sighed, though it came out more like a soft groan, and got comfortable. Not quite sure whether or not it was okay for me to sleep on my stomach still, I placed a pillow by my side to make sure that I wouldn't roll over onto my belly. Perhaps getting a book about things like this would be a good idea. I did need to learn some things about pregnancy cautiousness and stuff. What to eat and what not to eat, vitamins to take and things to prepare for. After all, I had no clue how to even hold a baby. No sweat, you just put your arm under its butt and let it lean on your chest, right? It probably had some kind of 'hold onto parent reflex' like monkeys.

I woke up as the door to my room opened. Sneaking into the dark, Brian chuckled softly as he saw the bundle of blankets where I slept. My feet were cold. I wasn't sure when I had fallen asleep or what time it was, if Hannah and Jayden were still in the apartment or if Jayden ever found out that I was in my room the whole time he spoke.

"How'd you find me?" I groaned softly.

"Well, I opened the door..." he chuckled.

"But how'd you know I was in here..."

"I saw your shoes by the door as soon as I got home. I just figured that if you didn't wanna see Jayden, I wouldn't force you to."

Chocolate covered roasted marshmallows. I would do anything for some chocolate covered roasted marshmallows. Popcorn with chocolate sauce and caramelised apples. Freshly baked bread to dip in a creamy mushroom soup. Mint ice cream.

"Micah?"

I opened my eyes and looked at Brian. He was closer to the bed now. "What time is it?" I yawned.

"I don't know... like eight..."

I turned in the bed. My back hurt. "I have a class at ten..." I mumbled. "When did Hannah and Jayden leave?"