Chapter 1.

I let my bottom lip ache slightly after I'd bitten it for the entirety of my first class. I wanted to go back to sleep and snuggle up in my blankets. My eyelids felt heavy, too heavy and too thick as they slowly and stubbornly kept lowering over my pupils. I stayed behind in the classroom as the rest of my classmates scurried out the door. Finally some peace and quiet.

"Micah?" The professor said with her clumsy, yet charming accent. "Are you not going to take a break before the next lesson begins?"

"No, I'm fine Mrs Taraha..." I mumbled and gave her a sleepy smile. Her surname stumbled over my tongue as I tried to pronounce it but she didn't seem to mind.

"Alright..." she huffed and went back to her own desk by the whiteboard.

I leaned my head on the white desk and sighed. At least the chair was comfy. My arms were not enough of a pillow as I laid my head on them. They were too bony and not soft enough. I liked my pillows overly soft so I could shape them and nuzzle them. My arms could not do that for me. The thought of my bed made my eyes feel even heavier. I desperately needed some sleep. I was getting close to the third day without as much as a slight slumber. My insomnia got worse with every week that passed. It didn't matter how tired I was, how exhausted my body became, I just couldn't fall asleep. I spent my nights with my eyes closed as I tried to doze off. The melatonin pills weren't enough. I could probably take an entire jar of them and they would only cause me to get tired, but I wouldn't fall asleep. My brain would be busy thinking, refusing to rest and shut itself off.

I was exhausted, to say the least. The only time I ever got sleep was when I either forced myself to faint or when exhaustion finally got the best of me. My doctor refused to give me any sleeping pills. He said that "I should try to get healthier first". I was fucking healthy. The only unhealthy part was the fact that I couldn't fall a-fucking-sleep. "Exercise more and eat healthier," he said. I go on daily runs and I eat a balanced diet with around 2500 calories a day. I should be able to fall asleep just as easily as everyone else. My situation was just unfair.

Everything felt distant. I could tell my head was still resting on my arms and that I was in the classroom but something was different. I wasn't in the classroom anymore. I was deep within myself. All the sounds around me were cancelled out by my own breathing, my own slow heartbeat gently clapping in my chest. The voices around me entered my thought process only to slip right out before I had time to fully process them. Was I... asleep? Was I falling asleep? For how long had I been like this? Someone was touching me. Touching my head.

"Do we wake him up?" Someone whispered.

"No... I hear he hasn't been sleeping like... at all for quite some time... so uh... just leave him be..."

Someone was playing with my hair, gently rubbing my scalp and stroking my forehead. I didn't know who it was and I couldn't care less. It. Felt. Amazing. Whoever was touching me was distracting my mind away from literally everything else. My body didn't want to move and I felt like I was drifting.

"Micah..." Someone whispered as they moved some hair away from my face. "Hey... Wake up..."

I'd been dreaming about water. In my dream, I was in a small rowing boat filled with soft pillows. The ores were gone and the wooden seats were torn out. I was laying in the pillows wrapped in a soft blanket. It was quiet. The waves curiously tapped against the sides of the boat and the wind was still. It was peaceful. Beautiful. Not a single cloud roamed the night sky. The stars sparkled above me and the only light was that of the moon's pale glow where she gazed down at me from her throne in the sky. Constellations decorated the void outside the atmosphere, twinkling gracefully.