Chapter 38.

"Mrs Taraha has been asking about you in class, every day she'll ask me if you're alright. She's worried about you..." Kennedy said as we walked through the grocery store with Jayden. "Actually, all the teachers have been asking. Mr McKay and Professor Gibson ask for weekly updates on how you're doing. Even professor Purkins has asked me if you're alright.

"Purkins?" I scoffed. Purkins with the angry eyes and the thin brown hair? Worried? About me? Professor Purkins who pulled me aside that one time to lecture me about falling asleep in class. I snorted. That grumpy man wouldn't worry about me if he saw me bleeding out on the sidewalk. "Sure he did..." I snorted.

"I'm serious. Everyone seems genuinely worried about you. They're wondering why you quit all of a sudden."

"What have you been telling them?"

"That you just needed a break. That it's a family thing. I'm pretty sure they think you're either depressed or that you've lost a parent now though..."

"The only thing I've lost is my abs..." I grumbled. Getting them back would be a bitch. Kennedy chuckled softly and Jayden glanced over his shoulder with an apologetic, guilty smile. They were dorks, both of them.

"But I was thinking... why not visit them? Show them you're okay? At least Mrs Taraha, you know she cares about you..."

I sighed deeply. Jayden walked in front of us, putting groceries into the cart Kennedy was pushing. It was Monday afternoon, March 2. Kennedy and Jayden had finished their classes for the day and we were gearing up for a chicken noodle soup dinner. My feet hurt, my back hurt, I felt weak and sleepy. Smith's birth couldn't come any sooner nor feel so far away. Why would I want to see my teachers now? I had just narrowly escaped being exposed before I quit so why would I want to reveal myself now? Did Kennedy not understand that I didn't want to be the 'freak' I'd always seen myself as?

"I don't want them to see me like this." My voice wasn't as loud as usual. It came out as a sigh or a mumble. "I already feel exposed being so close to campus all the time..."

A cold hand made its way over to mine, entwining our fingers. Kennedy washed his hands too often, they were dry. Still, holding his hand was comforting. "Does it embarrass you? Your belly..?"

"It's not the belly..." Jayden stopped walking in front of us and turned. He was holding a bag of dried pineapple pieces. "It's everything. I feel like a failure. I'm turning twenty next month and here I am, a pregnant college dropout without a job..."

Aisles after aisles stretched throughout the grocery store, filled with necessities and junk. The bright lamps burned like spotlights above, shining on me as if to show everyone where I was and what a fat loser I'd become. Further away, products were being scanned in the checkout. The same blipping noise echoed above the many store shelf's over and over again. It was raining outside.

"You're not a dropout," Jayden said lowly. "You're just taking a break to do something bigger and more important. Working would endanger the baby, seriously Micah. There are days when you're too exhausted to get out of bed, you can barely stay awake for long periods of time and on top of that, your body isn't even really made for pregnancy. I don't think you realise how much more fragile you are than other pregnant people."

I looked down, I didn't want to be fragile. People had seen me as fragile since I was little, always smaller than the other boys, always thinner, shorter, weaker. That was the entire reason why I started working out and became distant. If people saw me as intimidating then I wouldn't be seen as fragile anymore. It worked for a while at least.

"You can go to school again when Smith is old enough to get by without your constant care. He could go to daycare and then you can work too if you want. There's three of us, someone will always be able to take care of him." Kennedy cooed. "If you don't wanna see our teachers, that's fine. But if you do, I'm sure you'd get a lot of love and support, at least from Mrs Taraha, you know how much she cares about you..."