Kabanata XXXI

I woke up with the sound of birds delicately chirping in harmony , the susurrusation of the undying morning breeze along with modicum of commotion outdoors. Stretching my arms, I got up on my feet and stride outside and joined the breakfast. The day felt like a dream, gazing upon all my relatives talking and laughing with each other.

"Kape tayo, Feyang!" Geloy offered, holding his mug of coffee. I immediately ran towards my Mom and gave her a peck in the cheek. She gave me an astounded face with partly confusion in her eyes. Nginitian ko lamang siya at kumuha na ng pandesal sa lamesa at tumungo sa mga baso sabay kuha ng isa sa mga three in one sachet ng kape.

"Faye, may chocolate milk sa ref, ikukuha nalang kita--"

"Ayos lang po, Ma. I'll give coffee a try," I smiled blissfully. She took one step to closed the space between us and slightly leaned over me.

"Hindi mo naman siguro nakakalimutan kung bakit ayaw mo ang kape, hindi ba?" I shook my head and remarked..

"Coffee consists of the world's most widely consumed psychoactive drug and that is caffeine. We both know that it is a stimulant of the methylxantine class which can increase heart rate and blood pressure. And people who have high blood pressure are prone to cardiovascular diseases. And of course, we can still be addicted because caffeine's still a drug..." I held back and give my Mom another grimace.

"Pero po, ngayon lang naman. I think there's nothing wrong about that, Ma?" paniniguro ko sa kaniya. She gave way and reached for my mug, leaving my mouth parted in disappointment but when she went to reach for the vacuum flask and pour the hot water into the mug. That will do...

"Thank you Ma," I voiced out. Bumalik naman ako sa aking pwesto at nagsimulang kumain. When I took a bite of the salt bread, Polay poked my waist. I glared at her playfully as she pointed my chest.

"Ha?" naguguluhan kong tanong sa kaniya.

"Magiiswimsuit ka?" she interrogated, her eyes were paying attention on how she spread the peanut butter on top of her bread.

"Ah, yes? Dala ko yung rashguard and swimming leggings ko--" Kinamot niya ang ulo niya at saka ako tiningnan.

"Ang ibig ko sabihin, bikini ganoon, one piece or two piece, may dala ka?" I raised both of my eyebrows, trying to verify if she was kidding or not. But from the way she looked at me with hope in her eyes, I guess she wasn't blabbering.

"Wala, malabo rin namang payagan tayo nila Tita, lalong lalo na ang Mama mo," pagbibiro ko pa. She gave me a giggle that I could not understand.

"Why are you giggling?" She made funny wiggles on her eyebrows and pouted towards Tita Ganaiah. Ngumiwi ako at saka umiling.

"Ikaw nalang...Oh no...Don't give me that face now," Her face formed into a puppy one, her lips was in a full pout, eyebrows furrowed and her eyes were the gloomiest. Nagkibit-balikat ako at nagpatuloy nalang kumain. Hindi naman niya na ako ginulo pagkatapos noon.

Pagkatapos na pagkatapos ng almusal ay kaniya-kaniya nang labas ng mga damit, mabuti nalang at tatlo ang banyo sa bahay, kung hindi, siguro'y nagkagulo na ang lahat. Mahirap na, baka mawalan bigla ng tubig, dahil summer at hindi pa raw naaayos ang poso na pinaghahatian ng baryo dito.

It took two hours for everyone to settle down and gathered outside. Kung estranghero ka at nakita mo kaming magkakasama ay masasabi mong may outing nga kaming pupuntahan. Almost everyone was wearing summer outfits. Beach hats, sandos, lacy bras under see-through shirts and shorts. 

Charles and Charlie were wearing printed summer shirts, Charles was wearing palm trees printed shirt while Charlie was wearing a floral shirt, both were wearing black khaki shorts. Geloy was wearing a bodybuilding tank top and his usual favorite jersey shorts, while his twin sister Polay, was wearing a deep v neck striped shirt making her inner bikini top laces visible and a tattered denim skirt. Meanwhile, Ate Maristelle was wearing a racerback printed rashguard and denim shorts, Isaac was wearing a plain white shirt and adidas shorts, with a logo embedded on the bottom right of it. Hannah and Winnie were both wearing floral dresses.