28. Trust Issues

I waited.

Minutes turned into hours as I did. He was nowhere in sight. It was cold, and the sun covered by clouds didn’t help the earlier nights of Winter that came with it. “You sure, you don’t want anything? It’s been over three hours now.” Ayame offered in concern. “No, that’s alright. I can wait a little bit longer. Thanks for the tea though.” I replied, politely gesturing to the empty cup in my hands. She smiled and nodded. Business was slow with the cold. Teuchi roughly lowered the greaser, “I don’t get it. It’s rude to keep a lady waiting. I thought Kakashi new better than this.” He frowned. “Father, don’t say stuff like that about the Hokage.” Ayame complained.

“So, you still like him? Kakashi, I mean.” I found myself asking. She turned her attention back to me, “Huh? Kakashi? Oh no. I am grateful to him for being honest with me though. It helped me open my eyes to the truth. I guess it takes tearing something down to build something new. Something more genuine, and true. Warm and honest. Funny… Protective… Pure… Sweet.” She explained as if reminiscing. “Pure and sweet? Is this a dessert or a person?” I chuckled out. She giggled, “No… I’m talking about Ryuu.” My eyes gradually widened.

“I just hope he comes home soon, so I can tell him how I feel… I’ll wait until the day before forever, so I can spend forever and a day with him.” I had to blink a few times to make sure this is really happening, and without Ryuu to run and tell to. “Oh! How silly of me to forget he’s your brother. I hope I didn’t offend you in some way with my confession.” She said in a sudden fluster. I shook my head with a smile, “You didn’t. I’m glad you feel that way… So that’s love, huh?” I said more to myself than to her. “Really? You are?” she asked in surprise. I nodded and got out my seat, “I should get going. Thanks for the company. Good night you two.” I greeted. “Goodnight!” They both beamed as I walked out into the brisk of the howling night. I had never felt more alone.

Three Days Later…

“I think he’s avoiding me.” I admitted as I walked the streets of Konoha with Sai. “Kakashi is the busiest Shinobi in the Village. You shouldn’t take not having seen him lately so personally. After all, he is the Hokage.” Sai explained. “Oh yeah? And when was the last time you saw him?” I asked. “This morning as I handed my investigation report to his office.” He answered. “I was just at his office before we met up for lunch. Shizune said I had just missed him. Which means he escaped through the window. I haven’t seen him in three days, Sai. I’ve tried his office, the Memorial Stone, his apartment, Naruto’s, the lake… He’s just never around. And everyone else says they see him all the time.” I explained, holding to my fresh cut fringe for comfort. “Well, in that case, he clearly is avoiding you.” Sai said as we entered the bookstore.

“But why? I haven’t done anything wrong, have I?” Sai shrugged and led the way to a bookshelf. “Here we are.” He said. “Oh, good. What was the name of the book you recommended for interrogations again?” I asked. “Facial Expressions: The Science Behind Lying.” He answered with his closed-eyes smile. “Sounds perfect.” I said, as I began searching for it. “I’ll be over at the counter asking for a book I pre-ordered on smiling.” He said. “Okay. I’ll meet you there in an hour.” I said, putting my short, straight hair behind my ear out of habit. He chuckled knowingly and walked off.

I was skimming over the names of books over the top shelf, when something caught my eye. I looked up at the giggling silver spikes of hair over the top of a bookshelf a few rows down. There was no mistaking that gravity-defying hair. I frowned in determination and headed towards him. As I neared the very back of the store, his secret giggles became louder, and squeals of excitement escaped him. I rounded the corner of his shelf to see him holding up a green book with his back towards me, “Ooh-hoo-hoo! Make out Violence Edited Edition. Sounds so intriguing I could scream!” he squealed.