14. Return to the Leaf

"So... No luck then." Sasuke coolly said. "I wouldn't say that. We uncovered a lot from the notes Orochimaru kept on studying our Clan. Even though most of it turned out to be after he kidnapped and dissected the Haurutsuki members Lord Yagura imprisoned." Katsu distastefully answered.

The two sat in a booth at Yashiriki's Q, discussing Sasuke's investigation throughout their meal. "Yeah, but we don't have solid proof as to why my Rinnegan was able to free you from that Ice Jutsu." Sasuke said. "Let's go over the facts then. The Rinnegan is able to decipher encrypted messages, codes, bypass barriers and be able to control and unseal tailed beasts. When we were in that ice, we entered a state of Hyper Sleep. Which is a state like a coma, only we don't age while in it. I think the combination of us gathering and sharing our chakra protected us inside Miyuki's Ice Jutsu, sort of sealing us in this coma-like sleep. A sealed-sleep within an ice barrier that you were able to break through using your Rinnegan." Katsu explained. "But all I did was look at your frozen bodies. I had no intention of freeing you." Sasuke said flatly.

"Which brings me to how you acquired the Rinnegan. The chakra that gave you this ability was bestowed upon you by the Sage of Six Paths, and registers with chakra related to its own. In Orochimaru's finding, he compared us to both Byakugan and Jugo's Clan. He stated that what he called the 'Keihatsu State' was a Jutsu only a Haurutsuki with unlocked potential and full awareness of their anatomy was capable of. Our Keihatsugan is similar to the Byakugan, giving us the ability to sense, see, and utilise chakra regular Shinobi couldn't possibly comprehend. The chakra we use and manipulate however, has an origin Orochimaru compared to the Jugo Clan. They were able to passively absorb nature energy to turn into inhuman fighting machines, the side effect being, their bloodlust. That means that in a way, your Rinnegan reacted to a chakra it was familiar with, one the Six Paths related to." Katsu explained. "That's one way to put it." Sasuke stated.

"There's more disturbing information in what Orochimaru found with the actual bodies. He said that compared to regular Shinobi, we all looked attractive physically, had abnormal reserves of chakra, stamina, heightened senses, unknown ninjutsu technique capabilities and something missing from his papers... I figured it's lost. But the bottom line is, based on what he was saying, my guess is that he concluded we were inhuman." Katsu explained. "You were born here. Nothing inhumane about that. Your abilities are a bit strange though... Then there's your clan name..." Sasuke began to think. "What about it?" Katsu curiously inquired. "Haurutsuki could be directly related to the Otsutski Clan name. Your Clan's symbol is practically the same. And your chakra manipulation abilities sound similar to what Naruto described as Toneri Otsutski's: The last Shinobi of the moon."

Katsu's eyes slowly widened. Then Sasuke got up, "I'm going to go back to the desert and see what else I can dig up on those missing papers." He said. "Wow. I can't believe Sakura is letting you go so soon after you two got married." Katsu said in surprise. Sasuke stared at him blankly, "We'll see when I tell her." He said walking out the booth. Katsu sweat-dropped, "Good luck with that."

He sat in the booth trying to process their earlier conversation, "Toneri Otsutski..." Just then, the Ino-Shika-Cho squad walked in and spotted him alone in the booth. "Hey Katsu. Surprised to find you taking it easy. How's your new job in the Ninja Tools Development Science Team?" Shikamaru asked. He sighed, "Two months and I'm already being called a genius. Wish they picked it up sooner... How's the married lives coming along?" Shikamaru sighed, "It's a drag." Choji laughed, "Can't argue with you there, Shikamaru!"

"Hey, I heard you were invited to an End of Year Science Expo in the Land of Lightning. Congrats, Katsu." Ino chimed in. "Oh, that. I'm not going." he sadly replied. The three's faces dropped, "Why not? It's a great opportunity for the Hidden Leaf's Science Team." Shikamaru said. "Yeah, and you're a part of it." Ino added. "Well..." Suddenly they were interrupted by a new presence, "This is because... He doesn't want to leave the Hidden Leaf Village until Ryuu returns." Everyone went silent and blinked at Shino's creepy appearance. "SHINO!" Everyone suddenly yelled, and all was well again.