15. Falling for You

The next day, once she finished spending the morning indoors, she headed to her favourite spot by the lake with a book on love and friendship she found on Katsu’s shelf. 

Later that afternoon, Kakashi snuck away from his office as he often did, something stuck on his mind. For some reason, his thoughts of Miyuki were stronger than before. Growing more and more difficult to ignore. He walked through the streets of the Village with his hands in his pockets, staring hard at the thoughts that plagued him. He sighed, “What’s the matter with me?” He walked on, heading to his usual napping spot. He walked the road that led to the grassy hill and lake until he was right beside his nearing destination. He frowned to himself, “I should’ve been over this by now.” When he turned to go down the hill, he gasped. Sitting hunched over, absorbed in a book, was Miyuki. 

A cold breeze blew her hair against her face. Yet, she remained so fixated on reading the book held in place by her bent-up knees. He could feel it. The pounding in his chest and the knots in his stomach. He gulped down his tension and strode over to her.

He cleared his throat. She gasped in fright and looked up, “Kakashi, you scared me!” she squealed. “Sorry about that. Mind if I join you?” he coolly inquired. “Knock yourself out.” She said, returning to her book while he sat beside her. “What you got there?” he asked, looking at the red book. “Nothing too perverted if that’s what you’re wondering.” She smirked teasingly, not lifting her gaze from the page. Kakashi rolled his eyes and laid back onto the grass with his arms over his head. 

She suddenly frowned at her book, “I don’t get it.” She said. “Get what?” he asked from where he laid. She shut the book and turned to him, lowering her knees to the side, “In the book I’m reading, the guy is a mysterious pervert. Kind of like you.” Kakashi gave her an unimpressed look from where he laid. “The difference is, he chases after all sorts of women until he meets the right one and changes his ways. So why don’t you? I mean, you read erotic novels, and wear a mask, acting all mysterious. Yet, you don’t seem to have anyone… Why?” she curiously inquired. He looked at her expectant stare, and then closed his eyes and shrugged in response. She scoffed, “I don't know what Ayame sees in you.” She mumbled, turning away from him. He cocked a brow, opening an eye to look over to her, “Ayame?” 

She gasped and covered her mouth realising what she had just said. Kakashi sat up, “I thought Ryuu-” she cut him off, “Well, apparently she likes the mysterious type...” She grumbled before huffing into folded arms. Kakashi sweat-dropped, “I’m afraid I’m a little lost.” She sighed and looked to him, “Just picture Ryuu pinning after Ayame while she’s pinning after you. Reminds me of Obito and Rin back in the day…” She said in thought. “Oh.” Kakashi replied, averting his gaze. “Honestly, Kakashi, did you even like Rin back then? Or Ayame now?” she asked. “No.” he frankly answered, looking back at her. “Then I don’t get it. Women seem to like you, and yet, you wear a mask and read perverted novels in public. It’s almost like you’re deliberately trying to chase them away.” She explained. “That was the general idea.” He nonchalantly replied. 

“Hmm? You’re not into women?” she innocently inquired. “What? No, no, no, no. You’ve got the wrong idea.” Kakashi said, frantically waving his hands up in front of him. “Then why?” She curiously pressed. He stopped waving and sweat-dropped. “Why are you chasing them away, Kakashi? I mean, you clearly want something based on those novels of you keep reading.” His sweat-drop only grew larger. He couldn't believe she could have this kind of conversation with such a blunt, simple expression. He let out a nervous chuckle. 

“Oh, come on. You can tell me. I’ve lived with guys long enough to pick up on these kinds of things.” She smugly pointed out. He felt his breath in his throat, “I’m not comfortable talking about this.” He warily replied. It only made her lean in, “Why not?” He began to lean back in awkwardness. “Come on, Kakashi. What is it?” she pressed, leaning in even further. “Would you stop that?” he nervously pleaded. “No. Tell me.” He felt her breath through his cloth, and instantly tensed. It caused him to fall back onto the grass. She took this opportunity and grabbed his shoulders, pinning him down as she laid above him, “Come on, Kakashi, what is it?” she insisted. He snapped. “Because I don’t want to get left behind again, alright!?” he shouted. She gasped and immediately retracted off of him. He quickly sat up, turning away from her and clutching to his knees, frowning in anger.