22. Breakfast for Two

The next morning, after putting in a quick meal-for-two, I placed them in packaging I had saved in my cupboard and headed over to her place. I knocked on the door, and it quickly opened to reveal an already dressed Miyuki, her short hair pulled back in a ponytail. She must've had plans too. But who wouldn’t sleep in during vacation?

“Morning, Doll-face.” I beamed from under my mask. She immediately deadpanned at hearing the name. Point for me it is. Then she caught a whiff of my present and eased up, “Morning… What you got there?” She leaned into what I was holding with curiosity. “Want some? It’s breakfast for two.” I offered. She smiled and opened her door widely, “Sure. Make yourself at home.” She welcomed. “Thanks.” I said and walked in and headed to the kitchen. She joined me, getting out plates, utensils and two coffee mugs. I unwrapped the scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages and French toast. “Wow. You really went all out, huh?” She noted. “Oh, you think so?” I colly replied as I placed the food in our plates. She did the coffee, asking me how I preferred it, and when we finished we exchanged plate and mug and went to sit down across each other at the small dining table to eat.

I was so busy admiring her, watching her muse in delight from my cooking, that I hadn’t had a chance to eat my own plate.

*MIYUKI’S POINT OF VIEW*

I finished my food to find Kakashi staring right at me. I frowned, “So, what? I like your cooking.” I pouted out. He seemed to have just realised he was staring and hastily looked down at his plate. Only, he didn’t eat. I raised an eyebrow and began drinking my coffee. He seemed to be debating something. Maybe eating? Then it hit me. His mask.

“If you don’t want me looking, you can just tell me to turn away. I won’t take it personally.” I said, before drinking some more. “Oh, no. It’s just a bit warm. I don’t want to get burnt.” He said, eyes closed and smiling at me. I smirked to myself, “For a Shinobi in a mask, you sure are a terrible liar.” I mumbled, taking in the last of my coffee. He chuckled at me, thinking I was joking. I shrugged him off and got up with my plate and mug, heading for the sink. By the time I got there, his quick picking from the plate stopped, and I turned to see he was already done. Typical Kakashi for you. I decided to quickly wash my plate, mug and his lunchbox package when…

I was running the water when he walked up to the sink. He put his dishes down beside my mug, while I was washing my plate with a cloth. He then moved behind me. And suddenly I felt his breath down my neck, “Here. Let me help you.” He offered, stretching his arms out from under me and placing his bare hands on mine. He held me in place.

BO-BOOM.

My heart skipped a beat from the sudden closeness. What the heck? “N-no. It’s fine. I got it.” I shakily replied. ‘What is wrong with me?’ I worried in thought. He spoke over my shoulder, “I brought the food that made the mess. So, I should help clean it up.” He innocently explained. ‘Why am I so nervous? It’s just Kakashi… Isn’t it?’ I could feel a warm sweat rising from me. I was suffocating!

“I just remembered, I have grocery shopping to do!” I panicked, pushing his right arm away and hurriedly getting out of his hold. I immediately felt a wave of relief come over me. Kakashi closed the tap while I steadied my breathing behind him. He turned around with a frown of puzzlement, “What? Now?” I scoffed, “Yes, now. Gees, I planned to get this done yesterday. Grab your stuff before I lock you in here.” I told him, before turning to grab my red puffy jacket and black hand bag. I let loose and shook out my short hairz wishing my bangs would hide my blush. He left his lunchbox and packet behind. I assumed he wanted me to wash it first. I held my hand on the door with a raised eyebrow at him, “I’ll come back and get it next time.” He said, and I sighed before opening the door, leaving the apartment with him. We ended up walking the same direction, and I shrugged off my earlier heart arrhythmia, enjoying my stroll with the ‘Old man.’