20. Winter Vacation

*MIYUKI’S POINT OF VIEW*

“Slow down!” Senichi called as we sprang from branch to branch. “We don’t have time!” I called back, slightly annoyed. I spotted the clearing of the forest up ahead and jumped down to the ground. As I caught my breath, he jumped down beside me, “Boy, you aren’t easy to catch up to.” He panted out. I realised I had sprinted as fast as I could. I casually put a hand on my hip, “Well, you’re awfully slow for a Hunter ANBU.” He chuckled and straightened up, “And you’re awfully eager for someone taking a three-week vacation with me.” He countered. I realised it too and looked away, “Well, I want to enjoy it here as much as I can. Not that I invited you.” I hinted. “What can I say? I can’t live without you.” He smugly replied. I turned red, and then quickly whipped around to begin walking on, “Can’t believe Lady Mei put you on a mission with me.” I mumbled. He shrugged before jogging up to my side, “Hey, you’re the one who said the Hokage would help with our investigation.”

We had finally reached the big red gates of the Hidden Leaf. I was greeted by the guards who recognised me. After all, who could forget the unconscious girl who rode piggy back on her brother while next to Sasuke?

“Your hair looks so different. It suits you though.” I giggled shyly, “Thanks.” Sen put an arm around me, but I quickly elbowed his gut before he had a chance to brag. The guards were a little confused, “Uhr… So, what brings you here?” the other asked. “Just visiting Katsu on vacation.” I shrugged. Both guards were taken by surprise and turned to look at each other before looking back at me, “Katsu left with the Ninja Science Team for the Land of Lightning a few days ago.” I deadpanned. “Yeah, he’ll only be back in a week at best.” The other added. I jaw-dropped in horror, “Wah!? I was so focused on getting here that I forgot he’s away for the Science Expo!??” I exclaimed in horror. I could feel Sen raise an eyebrow at me. The guards chuckled, “Well, if you’re on vacation, I’m sure you’ll have time to stick around until he gets back.” The first guard said. I instantly eased, “Yeah, good point.” I thought aloud. “So, mind letting me and my girl in, guys?” Sen beamed. The guards were a bit taken aback and looked to me. I sighed, glum from the embarrassment, “He’s with me.”

As we walked into the Village, it gently began to snow. I was wearing a cosy red, fur-hooded jacket while he wore a black one. “So, what are you gonna do now?” I asked, facing forward as we strolled. “Talk to the Hokage. See if he can give us any intel on Orochimaru.” He innocently shrugged. I stopped in my tracks, “Let me talk to Kakashi. It’s not exactly something he’d just give up to the Captain who plastered his office wall with his face.” I reminded him. “Fine, you have a point. But it’s not like it was my fault. I swear, sometimes people will think you’re the boss of me.” He playfully pouted out. I responded by playfully hitting his arm, “Technically, we’re partners on this mission.” He seemed to like that labelling, “Hmm. So where will we be staying, and you know… covertly operating?” He smirked suggestively. He leaned in, wiggling his brows at me.

I stopped in my tracks, about to whack him against the head, when we were interrupted by a new voice, “Miyuki?” We looked forward, “Huh?”

“Aunty Yuki?” Another voice added. “Mirai? Kurenai!” I exclaimed, running up to hug them. “Miyuki!” They both giggled and so did I as we pulled away from the hug, “How are you two? Wow, Mirai. You’re getting bigger every time I see you.” Mirai giggled as I touched the tip of her cold, red nose. “We were just heading back home after laying some flowers at Asuma’s grave… Who is this?” Kurenai asked as Sen came up behind me. I waved his presence off, “Oh, he’s nobody. I’m on vacation here for a few weeks before I head back to the Hidden Mist.” Sen frowned behind me, clearly offended. “Vacation?” Kurenai asked in surprise. I nodded, “Yes. But it was sort of a last-minute decision, so I need to check in with Kakashi. I rented out my apartment too, so I’ll need the keys to Katsu’s place again.” I sheepishly explained. “Oh, well we just saw him at the Memorial Stone. Isn’t that right, Mirai?” Kurenai smiled down to her daughter, who nodded with a beaming smile.