Chapter 15: Diamond Hunting

After a couple hours of flying Hiccup and Toothless had made it too the new island where Johann had said it would be. It was a relatively large island, compared to Berk. There were many mountains that covered the landmass with sparse clusters of trees that hide within the valleys. Rocky cliffsides marked the rest of the island, that dropped at least 100 feet down into the raging ocean waves that crashed violently agasint the rock.

"This is it bud." Hiccup said to his dragon.

It was a peacful place, birds chirpping, wind slightly russling the few trees and metal banging agaisnst rock in the distance.

Hiccup scowled. "Fly low."

Toothless abided and angled down towards the moutains. He graced the rock as they flew into the center valley of the mountain. Toothless landed on a lone tree on the edge of the valley, far enough not to be seen from the people that now inhabited the island, but close enough so that they could see the goings on.

Hiccup leaned foward, studying the miners. There were many caves dug into the mountains, many people walked in and out with empty or full carts or pickaxes. Two men stood in the very center on a ledge, barking commands.

"Come' on men. We don't have any time to loose, we need to get these gems out of here pronto, before someone else finds out about this place." One of them commanded.

Toothless growled in protest.

Hiccup patted his side. "It's okay, how much damage could Alvin do?"

Hiccup turned his attention to a smaller cave off to the side, where one guy was sitting outside while another ran out of the cave. The one man only had a handfull of gems and the other did not look pleased.

"This cave is too small, might as well go to a bigger one and help out." the one sitting on a rock said.

The other nodded and followed the other to another cave. Hiccup took advantage of this.

"This is it bud, go to the cave." He commanded.

Toothless took off, hiding in the shadows of the mountains that were created by the setting sun. As soon as the nightfury landed, his rider leapt off his back and started down the darkening tunnel. They continued until the cave was completely dark and away from the light of the entrance.

"Alright bud, give me some light?" he asked.

Toothless complied, opening his mouth and letting his blue glow ignite. He flourish, the glow running from his head and down his tail until he was all lit up. Hiccup gave him his thanks and began to pound his pickaxe, that he had picked up at the entrance, around a small white vein of diamond. Within no time the gem popped out of the stone.

Hiccup studied it, the gem was the right size and had an oval shape. The edges were semi-smoothed and rounded, but still had some edge that could slice open skin. He placed it between his thub and forefinger to show Toothless.

"This is it."

The dragon sniffed it and then sneezed. Hiccup chuckled and patted his head. Just as he was climbing into the saddle after placing the precious gem into one of his flight suits compartments, a band of footsteps and voices echoed down the tunnel.

"Just because this cave is small doesn't mean it won't have something extraordiary. " Alvin said as they rounded the corner. Alvin chuckled and pointed Hiccup. "Like that. Bring them down."

Toothless struggled to take flight in the short cave. One of the four men that surrounded Avlin flipped his pickaxe before chucking it at Hiccup. Before he could react it clipped him on the shoulder, knocking him off the dragon and pinning him to the ground. Toothless tumbled to the ground. He recovered quickly so that he could back up to protect his fallen rider. He opened his maw, conjuring up a plasma blast.