Chapter 44: Overwhelmed

Eir, Astrid and Valka walked down to the Great Hall. Eir's hand was firmly grasping Astrid's as she skipped along. Valka trailed shortly behind them, with the biggest grin on her face. Gothi had left just minutes ago, leaving the women with news that had to be passed on to Hiccup. Astrid could hardly contain herself as well, the butterflies returned to the pit of her stomach again, causing her to place her hand over it in attempt to calm them.

The three climbed the steps and entered the hall. Almost everyone in the village was there, having their after-race celebration. Astrid's grip on Eir slipped because of her sweaty palms that matched her racing heart beat. With every step she took it felt as if she were going to be sick; there were too many people here. She choked down the lump in her throat and continued on.

Drums pounded in her ears, her eyes darted around in search of her husband and her breaths came in short, hyperventilate-like bursts. The group stopped short of the hearth, where Toothless lay curled up next to the collection of men that his rider was conversing with. The hall seemed oblivious to their chief's verbal struggle with Spitelout, Loke, Gobber and himself. Their angry voices swelled to Astrid. Despite the recent history, it was not Spitelout who was responsible for this quarrel.

Hiccup balled a fist just out of Lokes sight. "This is how you repay me for taking care of your daughter while away? Scolding my wife?" He spat.

Loke, too into the conversation, spoke with his hands as well as his tongue. "I am just thinking about Berk; Berk needs their heir."

"I have said before, it is none of your business. It is nobody's business besides mine and Astrid's." Hiccup sighed, trying to control his translucent anger.

"Most chief's gave their heir within months of marriage, some even did before they became chief. If Astrid can't comply..."

"Loke, please stop." Spitelout pressed.

Gobber stood beside Hiccup, unsure of what to say. The man stood there in silence as he looked on the fight.

"I am sure that I can have some leeway...given the circumstances of my achieved chiefdom." Hiccup said.

Astrid took a deep breath, handed Eir off to Valka, and approached the bickering men. She held her shoulder's high, no longer scathed by the spiteful words of some. As she made it to her husband, Astrid tapped his shoulder lightly.

"Hiccup..." She said.

The man turned to his wife with big eyes. He gripped her shoulders gently yet firm.

"Astrid, you should go." He pleaded.

"Their words cannot hurt me."
Hiccup sighed, moving his hands to either side of Astrid's head as the men behind them raised their somewhat quite voices. "Please, I do not want you to hear this."

Astrid gave Hiccup a closed-lipped grin as she grabbed his wrist with her left hand. Hiccup grazed her cheek with his thumb, silently wishing her to leave.

"I have to tell you something." She pressed.

"Hiccup..." Gobber said through his teeth, pleading for his help.

The chief glanced back at the man briefly before turning soft eyes back to his wife. "It's really got to wait, milady, i'm sorry."

"I'm with child." Astrid blurted, loud enough to ring through the hall.

All motioned stopped in that second, nothing moved. Clanging dishes halted along with the cheery conversation of most villagers, as well as the quarrel behind Hiccup. Every pair of eyes turned to their chief and his wife.

Hiccups grip on Astrid softened even more so. His mouth fell open slightly, as if he had loss of breath. Large, green saucers stared into Astrid's eyes in search of truth. He did not believe it, he believed that he was in a dream, but the look in Astrid's eyes told him that he was awake...and that she just told him that she is carrying his child.

"Are...are you serious?" He asked as he shrunk down to eye level with Astrid, who nodded. "Are you sure?"

Astrid answered him with another nod. "Gothi said so." She squeaked.

Eir, breaking the silence, pattered quickly over to her father and tugged on his pants. "I told you she would have babies, I told you!" She announced.

The man glowered at the couple who was staring into each others eyes.

Hiccup slowly turned his lips upwards as he let out a few laughs. "I'm going to be a dad." he breathed.

Astrid grinned even more. "You're going to be a dad." She said, moving her hands into Hiccup's hair.

Hiccup crowed even louder. The village looked onto the couple with sincerity; their chief of 5 months was now going to be a father. Suddenly, after the minutes of slow and cautious movements, Hiccup removed his hands from Astrid's head to around her waist as he pulled her close and off her feet.

"Yes!" He cheered, twirling Astrid around.

The blonde clung to his head, giggling involuntarily. Silence broke that moment as the village erupted into cheers and claps. A few whistle here and there, expressing the celebratory moment. Hiccup slowly set Astrid back on her feet, only to bring her close and lock lips. The cheering intensified.

The man pulled away from the soft lips of his wife. He looked into Astrid's eyes lovingly as he knelt down. Astrid's eyes followed his, keeping her hands in his hair while doing so. Once his knee made contact with the ground, he pulled his eyes away and turned them to her flat stomach. The chief's hands grasped the woman's waist as he leaned forward, pressing his lips to Astrid's stone-like belly.

Astrid smiled down with tears in her eyes. She was too happy. Freyja had finally allowed her to have a child, she allowed Hiccup to have a child, she allowed him to give Astrid a child. The woman felt like cheering, but she subdued to audacious craving. Nothing could take away the pleasure she felt right now, nothing. The sight of her husband caressing the belly that carried their child made her want to cry even more, out of joy of course.

"I love you." Astrid said shakily, for she was so overwhelmed with joy, nervousness and anxiety for the days and months to come.

Hiccup peeled his head away, which had been buried into his wife's abdomen, and looked up. He slowly rose to his feet. The man held the woman's head again, shaking his head as he was overrun with the same emotions that plagued his wife.

"I love you."
~
It's really short, but I think it came out great. The best things in life don't have to be big and grand, the little things can have a big impact so...are you happy now? I hope so XD
I know it was a very translucent thing, but I just feel that this is what would happen after the second movie. I have two little favors to ask you guys.
First, if you are in love with dragons (as in the creatures) as I am, I would very much appreciate it if you could go critique my new story 'The Elf Among Dragons'. I just posted the second chapter and would love to have some nice criticism.
Second, I am drawing a blank for the next chapters of this story. I have the basis of the story laid out, but it's not enough and would end up very blunt. I'm not sure about you guys, but I don't like anything blunt. If I wanted the story to be blunt, I would just tell you what happens right now. So, as a favor, I would like you to tell me some little things that you would like to see(Not just with Astrid and Hiccup, I would like to see the dragons a bit more as well as the gang in the story as I feel they have not made many appearances). You know, things like little jokes, or flashbacks, or even just things as small as Hiccup telling Astrid she looks nice today, stuff like that.
Thank you guys so much, you are awesome! Thank you for reading, thanks for the help, thanks for voting and commenting! Thank you for over 15k reads! Ridiculous!