Chapter 23: The Fourth of July Party

Start from the beginning

*time skip brought to you by a restless gem*

Your eyes peeled open for the second time that day, and you sat up, stretching. You felt energized, almost hyper, which meant that you were well-rested. You smiled, hopping out of the bed as you checked the time on your phone. It had to be pretty late in the morning due to how bright the sunlight shining through the curtains was, lighting up the entire room. 10:06 AM. You bounced on your toes for a minute, smiling widely. I think I can get some exercise in before I take a shower. You walked out of the bedroom and into the living room to find that it was empty. "Good morning, sunshine." Your head snapped to the voice coming from the dining room, seeing Kehlani sitting at the table eating cereal.
"Where is everyone," you asked, going to sit by her.
"Your mom went to the store downstairs to pick up stuff for the barbecue. She took Jasper with her as a set of extra hands, and Millie wanted to go, so I let her. She also wanted me to let you know that we should be clothed by the time they get back and ready to take our asses to the mall." You chuckled, standing to pour yourself a bowl of cereal as well.
"Sounds like Mom alright—what time did they leave," you asked, looking over at Kehlani again. She shrugged, finishing her cereal and standing up to put her bowl in the sink.
"Probably like an hour ago."
"Oh, damn. They'll be back soon then, huh?" Kehlani giggled, nodding her head.
"Yeah, that's true. Hopefully, they'll stay out a little longer though, so I have time to perfect my look." You laughed, chewing your last spoonful of cereal. You drank the milk, putting the bowl in the sink.
"Did you get a peek at Jasper's outfit for tonight?" Kehlani groaned, tossing her head back slightly.
"No! Your mom is really adamant about keeping it a surprise." You groaned, too, rolling your eyes. Yesterday your mom took Jasper to the mall alone to buy her an outfit for the cocktail party. You knew it was something nice because you recognized the name on the bag, but your mom wouldn't let you, Kehlani, or Millie see it. She even made Jasper swear to secrecy, which resulted in the gem practically ignoring you for the majority of the day. Or there could have been another reason for her ignoring me, you thought, walking into the living room. When you had woke up for the second time yesterday, after seeing Jasper in your mom's art studio writing, she hadn't spoken to you much at all. You knew she was hiding what was on those papers, but it wasn't like you could read it anyway. It was as if she was afraid she would tell you on accident—so avoiding you was the best option for her. You sighed, sitting on the carpeted floor in front of the couch. Hopefully, she'll say something to me today. Being ignored is the worst. "I'm going to go and shower, (y/n). I'll let you know once I'm out."
"Alright. I'm going to try and blow some of this energy off." Kehlani chuckled, telling you to have fun before disappearing down the hallway. You started with a few basic exercises: doing push-ups and crunches, then squats. You had probably done about three sets of fifteen for each, getting ready to start on some timed jumping jacks and planks when you heard the door unlocking. Your head snapped towards it, and you ran into the back, closing the door behind you and locking it. You giggled at your antics, but truthfully you were scared that your mom would get pissed that you hadn't gotten dressed yet.
"(Y/n)! Kehlani", you heard your mom's voice yelling, the sound of bags shuffling loudly in the kitchen. You turned, pressing your back against the door to see Kehlani coming out of the bathroom. She jumped, almost dropping the towel wrapped around her. You quickly pressed your finger to your lips, signaling for her to be quiet. You then pointed to the door, mouthing that they were back. Her mouth shaped itself into an 'o', and she nodded, creeping over to her suitcase. You jumped, moving away from the door. You felt someone twisting the knob. You ran over to Kehlani, holding onto her as the both of you snickered quietly. You tiptoed over to your suitcase, preparing to take clothes out so you could hurry and take a shower.
"Mommy," you heard Millie's quiet voice say on the other side of the door. You and Kehlani looked at each other, and she mouthed to you, 'I have to! She's calling me.' You mouthed, 'No!' back, waving your hands around as the two of you snickered again quietly. You then shrugged, waving your hand towards the door. "Mommy," Millie called again, dragging the word out as she knocked on the door. Kehlani quickly put her underclothes on, covering her bottom half with the towel. She then walked towards the door, slowly unlocking it. You covered your mouth, biting into your hand. She swung the door open, revealing Millie's small frame. The little girl was wearing a white t-shirt with the words 'summer babe' written across it multiple times in red and blue with a pair of light blue jean shorts. On her feet were white tennis shoes, and a red ribbon was in her curly brown hair, tied into a big bow.
The toddler giggled, running up to her mom and reaching up for her. "We're back!"
"I can see that," Kehlani said with a chuckle, picking her daughter up.
"Where's my mom and Jasper," you asked, squeezing Millie's chubby cheeks. She giggled, wrapping her tiny hands around your fingers.
"Dee Dee is putting the stuff away, and Jasper is—"
" —right here, Shortcake," Jasper said, finishing Millie's sentence as she wrapped her arms around your waist.
"Someone seems to be in a good mood," you commented, turning around to look at the gem.
"I'm in a great mood," Jasper said, cheerfully, picking you up as she hugged you. You laughed, resting your hands on her shoulders as you looked her over, a blush tinting your cheeks. She was wearing a white hoodie with a black windbreaker over it, a pair of light blue ripped jeans, and the checkered Vans you had gotten for her a while back. A snapback with a black and white checkered brim to match her shoes hung at her side, attached to one of the belt loops on her jeans.