Chapter 1

Qaddriyah POV
Queens
3 January 2019

"How you holding up Jounte?" I asked him without looking him in his face. He sounded angry on the call so I didn't want to see his reaction.

"I'm coo," he said sharply. He grabbed my hand and made me turn to face him, "why would you Driyyah?"

I looked at him with no expression. How could I explain that I wasn't coping? I dropped out of varsity cos there ain't money. I was too scared to tell him about my problems cos he is in jail. He got too much on his mind already, "I ain't wanna go."

"Qaddriyah Dior Mayers, don't lie to my fucken face," he said making sure I knew he was serious.

"Okay Dejounte, there ain't no money. I ain't got enough money to go to varsity alright. The fees are damn expensive and I ain't got that typa money. My mom cleared my bank account when she ran away, she left me with nothing except the house and car. You happy?"

He looked down and sighed, "Why you ain't tell me that from the start Driyyah? If I knew, I would have..."

"Nah it ain't your job to take care of me. You ain't my dad."

"You tripping dawg, why you being like this? Lemme help."

I pulled my hand away from him, "Nah Jounte I got it. I'll make a plan. Just work on surviving here. How long you got left?"

"Ion know. I forgot," he shrugged. He was such a baby at times.

I looked at my phone and saw a message from Zee.

Zee😻:
I need you to come over rn. I think I found a way for you to make extra cash.

"Ayt Jounte I need to go now, be safe."

He looked at me strangely, "I see. I will."

We both stood up and hugged, he smelt like weed, this what they do in there?

"I luh you Driyyah," he said. "I love you too Jounte."

I kissed him on the cheek and walked out.

I got into my car and drove to Zee's club I wonder what she got in store for me. I will do whatever to get that money.

Dejounte POV

"Yo Trevs, come here real quick," I said signaling to Trevor. I've been in jail for a year and a half now. I got a month left and I didn't wanna tell Qaddriyah yet. I wasn't ready. Damn,I'm whipped. That bitch got me tripping so hard. I would do anything to make sure she happy and cool.

"Wassup Dej," Trevor said. The gents call me Dej and Driyyah is the only one allowed to call me Jounte. I fucks with shawty that's why.

"Is Qaddriyah ayt?" Trevor asked. I sat down as he passed me a blunt. I shook my head.

"Wassup with her?" He asked. I sighed, "I found out she dropped outta varsity and shit mahn so I asked her today and it's money problems. Her mom did her dirty and took the money and left. Now she left with nothing."

"Shit is deep mane, whatchu gon do about it?" He asked smoking the blunt too.

"I don't know, all I know is that when I leave this place. I need to make up for lost time with my baby."

"Make sure she ain't fuck with another nigga tho bro," Trevor said.

I shook my head. She wouldn't. That's my baby. My bitch and I ain't sharing.