Chapter 36: An Intruder

Avery's P.O.V

Alex drove me home to pick up some of my stuff, just like he promised a few days ago. He parked in the driveway, as I headed for the front door. 

I didn't have my keys on me because they were inside my car, which was parked in Alex's house. Therefore, I grabbed the spare from the pot nearby the front door and unlocked it. We both walked into what seemed like an abandoned house. 

Okay, maybe not abandoned, but you could tell that no one had been home for almost a month. Alex helped me up the stairs to my room, in which he sat on the bed as I looked for a backpack to collect my things. 

"You know, your house reminds me a lot of my childhood home." He spoke reminiscingly. 

"Really? It always reminded me of a shoe box, but I guess to each their own." I joked. 

"No, I'm serious. When I was about 11 or 12 we moved to the house we live in now, but I had some of my best memories in my old house." He smiled tenderly. 

"I get it, I loved my childhood home as well. Although, I don't regret for one second leaving that place." I said as I stuffed a backpack I found in my closet. Once it had all the clothes I deemed important, I laid it on the floor and picked out some shoes. 

"Was it so terrible?" He asked. 

"Terrible is not the word that I would use, but all the other places I've lived in have given me another perspective; a better one." I tried to explain myself. 

"I understand. I wouldn't change the success my father has gotten either. It's just that sometimes I miss who he used to be. His success has given us another life, but I feel like he's lost a part of himself." 

"Nothing is ever really lost. We tend to fool ourselves into thinking we've erased past feelings and memories, but the truth is that we've merely buried them. And they're just waiting to be found under the layers we've built." I spoke from my own experience. 

"When did you get to be so wise?" He said playfully as he gripped my waist from behind me and held me happily. 

I looked at him through the mirror, and all I could do was beam at him as he laid loving kisses on my neck. I turned around as he still held me, all I could see in his eyes was unbridled lust and affection for me. 

I dove into his lips, as his own received me with warmth and tenderness. Our kiss grew in intensity and power. Our sexual tension finally exploding in a gamma of lust, kisses and caresses. 

His lips and tongue explored my own and we were lost in a world of our own; a world that no one else could access. We fell on the bed as our passion consumed us, that was until we heard the front door being opened and shut. 

I was immediately on alert. I broke our kiss apart and signaled for him to be quiet. Alex followed my lead as I opened a chest drawer and took out my 9 millimeter handgun. 

I could see surprise written all over his face, but he still remained quiet. I picked up the bat I had under my bed, and handed it to him. He immediately held it up on alert as we quietly walked to the door of my room. 

I opened it, and briefly scanned the perimeter. After deeming it safe, we walked out onto the hallway. My injury gave me some discomfort but I pushed through it, because I was not going to leave Alex to fight the intruder on his own. 

After checking the top floor we figured he must be on the first floor. As we quietly went down the stairs, we heard rummaging in the kitchen. 

Whoever it was had their back to us, and I took the opportunity to press the barrel of my gun to the nape of their neck.