Chapter 25: Baby

Avery's P.O.V

As we walked towards the door to exit the room and look for the movie, I heard my phone start to sound off. That's weird, I didn't even remember bringing my phone up here, but then again I didn't even remember getting up here last night so I guess it isn't that strange.

It was coming from a pile of my last night outfit that was laying in a chair that was to the tv area of the spacious room.

I looked up at Alex, his arm still keeping me in close proximity to him, he simply shrugged. I walked out of the embrace and towards the pile of clothing. I moved the jumbled clothes until I found the cream clutch that I was bearing.

I grabbed my phone and answered.

"Hello?" I said in a cut-throat cold voice.

"Avery? Oh thank God!" My mother said as she released a sigh of relief.

"What is it?" I asked impatiently, crossing my arms over my chest.

Something is up... First she disappears for two weeks, she leaves me here, and now she's acting all relieved to hear my voice? Something is definitely up.

"I think I have a lead Aves. I had to fly to England as soon as I got it, but when I saw you in your comatose state I thought the agency had gotten to us, I got scared... That's what  gave me the reassurance  that I needed, that's how I knew that the information had to be true. " She rambled on excitedly.

"Stop right there. What are you talking about? What lead?" I said and then whispered, "What do you mean the agency got to us, I made sure that it would never happen!" I said angrily.

"A lead to get our family back, a lead that would make us again as we were. Dad, Sebastian, you, Marie, and me, all together again. Don't you want that Avery?" She said her voice almost to breaking point.

She's clearly unstable.

"Mum there's no 'making us as we were', we stopped being a family a long while ago. The day father became Ryder, that day he damned us all to the hell we're living now." I said walking towards the bathroom, locking myself in it after giving a dismissive look to Alex after he gave me a perplexed one.

This isn't something he should be hearing or anyone for that matter.

"I will not permit you to talk ill about your father! He's a great man who always--" I cut her scold short.

"First of all he isn't my father, not anymore at least and secondly, it's his fault that we're in this bloody mess! It's his fault that Seb and Marie are missing, it's his fault that I had to move to another goddamned country in the middle of my fucking senior year!" I finally got it off my chest. I didn't realize I was crying until I saw the tear stained reflection of my face in the vanity mirror.

"Language young lady! Thank God that I'm not over there to smack some respect into you." She warned dauntingly.

"I'm sorry mother... Do you plan on ever coming back?" I said sounding defeated, and indeed I felt like all the life was drained out of me.

"Not until I have the where abouts of at least your father, if I find him, he can help me find Sebastian and Marie Anne." She said decisively.

"Fine, ring me if you find anything new. I love you mum." I said as I saw no point in continuing this conversation.

"You be good, okay. Call if you need anything. I love you, please remember that." She said in a sad voice.

"Okay, love you too." And with that the call ended.