Chapter 33: Good Morning To You Too

Alex's P.O.V

The sun was shining in my face and I had no other choice but to wake up. Avery was still fast asleep and even with all her bruises and bandages, she still looked like a goddess. I marveled for a moment at her beauty and after a few seconds I came out of my trance.

I got up and walked out as softly as I could, trying not to wake Ava up.

There was someone else in this hospital that I wanted to see and I'm not talking about my father. Once I was out of the room I walked towards the elevator and chose level 10.

I checked my clearance with the bodyguards outside the door and walked in.

There in a vegetable state laid my beautiful mother. Only father and I knew that she was here. I hate myself every day for not telling my own sister but I swore mother that I wouldn't. In the eyes of everyone else she's dead and she has to remain that way.

Mother "died" in a car accident. There was a mysterious van that impacted the car and she fell off road. Another person that passed by called 9-1-1 but only the empty destroyed van was on the scene. Luckily some paramedics spotted her and she was clinging to life with all she had, but she still was very injured. She ended up in a medically-induced vegetative state and has been like this for some months now.

After the accident nothing was ever the same. Father became the cold, stoic and distant person that he is now. Cami acts like it never even happened and I was left all alone. Lately I've been the only one visiting her.

"Hey mom..." I whispered softly, the room was always so painfully sterile and silent. I grabbed her hand and gripped it tightly.  It always made me feel better since it reminded me that she was still alive. 

"This week has been quite eventful. Avery's all better now despite being hospitalized for two more days. Cami is so happy and gorgeous, I wish you could see her already, but don't tell her I said that. And, well, there's something else I wanna talk to you about." I couldn't find the right words to tell her about Father. 

"Uh, Father, He had an accident... It was pretty bad but he's well, just a little banged up, but alright." I tried softening the blow. Her heart sped up but after a minute or two, it went back to its normal rhythm. 

"I miss you so much, you have no idea. I need you back here mamma. I need you to fix everything just like you always did. Please, I'm begging you. Be strong for me, be strong for Cami. We need you." My voice was tied up in knots and I felt my eyes well up. This was too much, it was always too much. I guess I can understand why father hasn't been up here for some time now. 

"I'll come back next week as always. I love you so so much. Please come back to us mom." I kissed her forehead and left. 

I went down to Avery's room and passed that body guard that didn't rub me the right way. He always seemed like he was hiding something. I had a bad feeling and I don't think I'll ever trust him. 

"Bella, you're awake." I said as I noticed Avery on her phone. 

"Good Morning, where have you been?" She asked with a smile. 

"Just checking up on Father." No one can know the truth. 

"Great, you wanna have that talk?" She referenced early this morning. 

"Sure," I smirked. I sat down on the bed next to her and she cuddled into me. 

"I gotta tell you, you keep surprising me Miller."

"How so?" She gave me a questioning look.

"I'd say you're one of the very few people that have taken the chance to know me. The actual me." I don't know what came over me but I felt like I could tell her anything.

"You're not so bad yourself Alex. You're one of the very few people that I like, and I don't say that lightly. Of course I'd get to know you." She smiled genuinely.

"I can't believe that Avery Miller just said that to me. Also can I say that you gave me one hell of a scare. This time you have got to get well for real." I hugged her to my chest as I passed my hand soothingly through her hair.

"Are you confirming that the Alex McKay, player of player's, master of the one night stands actually cares for one silly girl." She taunted. I knew she was just trying to push my buttons. As always Ava knew how to keep it interesting.

"I'd say you've lasted more than most..." I smirked taunting right back.

"You're evil, you know that?" She said but couldn't seem to help the lazy smile on her lips.

"Come on, you know I'm messing with you." I gave her a full smile.

"Oh, I know. You are so into me, you can't even help it." I saw her smirk and the worst part was that she was actually right. However, she didn't need to know that.

"Hmm, you sure about that?" I teased.

"Positive." She whispered as her mouth was dangerously close to mine, our eye contact never breaking.

Our foreheads lined up and her hot breath fanned my face. Her lips mildly spread apart, they were mine for the taking. They looked absolutely mesmerizing, plump and inviting. I was about to close the distance between us, when the door opened and immediately separated us.

"Good to see you awake Avery!" My uncle chirped in. 

"Good morning to you too Jackson."

*****