Chapter Twenty Nine

© 2020 just_cait_here

"Fairytale."
•••

Makoa POV

I've been staring at a blank wall for the past two hours.

I can't believe it. I was so close.

I barely even react when the door slides open, not even bothering to see who came in.
Probably another one of those people in white coats, coming to interrogate me further.

"Hey, hot stuff."

I know that voice.
I jump to my feet, eyes landing on her perfect face. Without a second thought I run forward, wrapping my arms around her.
"Thank God you're okay..." I murmur.

She steps back, and one look into her red, teary eyes and I know something is very wrong.

"What is it, Tiger? What's wrong?"

Kenya laughs a little, wiping at her eyes. 
"Don't mind me. Just something in my eye... the more important question is are you okay? Have they hurt you?"

"Damn sure there's something in your eyes. Tears." I say, frowning.
They better not have laid a finger on my Tiger.

"Look, Makoa. I'm out of moves... played my last cards. It's checkmate."

"Oh please, Kenya the Immortal Genius is never out of ideas."

She smiles, but the little grin quickly fades.
"I failed you. They're going to wipe your memory... you're going to forget all about me. But it's okay."

I shake my head vehemently. "No it's not okay. I don't want to forget about you... ever. We will figure something out. Like always."

She takes my hands, squeezing them and looking into my eyes.
"You don't understand. I've agreed to let them do this. Sir William promised me you would go to live with Bria, once your memory had been cleared. It'll be paradise." Her voice starts quavering, but she continues on, tears in her eyes, "You'll have that big house, no more traumatic memories... and you'll be with Bria."

"But I won't remember you." I say softly, gently wiping a tear from her cheek with my thumb.

She laughs lightly. "Trust me Makoa, I'm not much of a loss. You'll be fine... okay? Just go through the memory wipe process. Go into the world. Find a girlfriend who adores you. Get married, let your heart skip as the bride walks down the aisle in her white dress. Have adorable little kids with your honey brown eyes and soft curls..." her voice breaks off.

"I don't want some other bride, Kenya." I say softly, knowing my eyes are glassing over with tears.

She's not really saying goodbye, right?
She wouldn't really be okay with me forgetting her?
This is just a hoax... isn't it?

She smiles sadly.
"You will, Koa. Once you've forgotten me, you won't ever even think of my name again. You'll forget about the stupid girl who walked into your life and did the one thing she said she would never do again... forget the girl with the nighttime rambles, lost in a world of illusions and pain. You will be happy."

"And you?" I whisper, knowing my voice is cracking, "You'll be happy, too?"

She doesn't reply. "Goodbye, Makoa."

I reach out, grabbing her arm. "You didn't answer my question, Tiger. What about you? What will happen to you?"

She smiles. "Don't worry about me. I knew it would only be a matter of time before we said our goodbyes. Better sooner than later, I guess. This way I don't have to worry about making you hurt, either."