Chapter Five

© 2020 just_cait_here

"Pull Ups Suck."
•••

Kenya POV

This guy should get a job as some professional stalker or something, if a job like that even exists.

Because he is good.

"Excuse me ladies and gentleman, I think I see that annoying kid who was blasting music next door at three in the morning. Gotta go give him a piece of my mind." I smile, pushing my chair back and snatching Fluffy away from her milk, storming over to Makoa.

"What the actual fck, dude? Leave me alone!"

"How hard is it for you to just cooperate?! All I want to do is find my little sister? Don't you have compassion? Empathy?"

"I have everything... except a few f*cks to give." I snap.

"You are the single most selfish person I have ever met!"

"Its a skill I've learned well," I reply snarkily.

"You can't even give me a clue to where she is?"

I sigh. "If I wasn't holding a cat right now I'd punch you again. But, fine. All I know is that Sir William the Doofus probably took her somewhere. I don't know where. I've never accepted his invitations to go to Headquarters."

"Headquarters?"

"Yeah. I'm kind of part of a group. Complete involuntarily, by the way."

"What sort of group?"

"A large one. Now if you'll excuse me... my friends are waiting." I gesture to the older ladies and gentleman seated around my table eating their breakfast.

"Please... you don't have anything more?"

"No. You're on your own, kid."

"Okay- first. Stop calling me that, it's belittling. And second... isn't there anything you want? Anything I can give you, pay you with, to get you to help me?"

He was getting desperate.... I could see it in his eyes, hear it in his voice.
I almost felt bad. But not quite.
One day he was going to have to learn the world wasn't bright and cheerful and that shit happens— wait did he say PAY?
He would pay me to help?
Ooh.

I chew my lip thoughtfully. "Okay, kid, I might be interested in negotiating. After breakfast- nine o'clock on the dot. Gym."

Was I just choosing the gym because I wanted to see those muscles in action? Yeah, pretty much.

No shame, my friends. I have no shame.

"Okay. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You won't regret this..." in the sadness of her eyes there was a little spark. A spark of hope.

Poor boy... he was so innocent and gullible.

Like I once was.
Ha.
Learned my lesson quickly, that's for sure.

I turn, letting my messy ponytail whip in his face just to be a little extra annoying, and carry Fluffy back over to our breakfast table, setting the grumpy feline back in her chair where she sulks for the rest of the meal.

How petty.

•••

"Ah, so you actually showed up. Was beginning to think I'd have to visit another gas station." Makoa says as I walk into the gym.

He's already sweating, having obviously got impatient and started working out.
"Please, continue on with whatever you were doing. I like to be active while I talk. My hands get bored." I say, moving to one of the exercise bikes.