Chapter 5

To  yo_fave_slimmy

You'll love it!

*Evanston, Illinois

❀ Noelle's POV

“This is a disaster!” a neighbor cries, standing over her broken mailbox.

I shake my head and turn around the corner. I step onto the porch and the lizard jumps down from underneath the broken doorbell.

“Why hello Doris. You look lovely” I grin, crouching down.

She nods. I reach into my side bag and drop a piece of chocolate in front of her.

“Go on” I whisper.

She snatches it and scurries off under a bush. I stand up.

Who doesn't like chocolate?

I turn the doorknob only to have it come off. I sigh and reach for the broom nearby. I stick the handle inside the hole the doorknob used to be in and yank the broom to the side. The door creeks open and I put the broom away.

I have got to get that fixed ASAP!

Stepping inside I close the door behind me and set the loose doorknob on the cabinet by the door.

“I'm home!” I call out.

“Hey!” Angela smiles walking past me with the laundry basket. “You're late.”

“Yeah, I know. Sam wanted to get my opinion on the shoes he picked for Morena.

“Isn't Sam the gay one?”

“Mhmm” I answer with a hum as I finish my chocolate.

“He's cute” she smiles, wiggling her brows at me.

“Angie he's gay. The best gay person I know actually” I admit.

She folds the clothes.

“And how many gay people do you know?”

“Sam... and his world full of crazy people called Sam.”

Angela laughs.

“He's the sweetest too.”

“Noelle?” my mom calls out.

Angela gasps.

“Quick! The hair!” she cautions.

I literally drop everything in my hands onto the floor.

My phone!

I whimper and stamp my foot.

“Relax!” Angela reaches for it while I fix my hair.

Here's the thing. My mom had a very rare neurological problem which affected her memory. She easily forgot everything.

And someway somehow, I was the only one she always seemed to not recognize.