Chapter 18

❀ Keith's POV

I sit on the balcony with my laptop opened when I feel a heaviness behind me. I don't turn... knowing very who it is. I ignore her and stay focused on my work. Unsatisfied, she begins to pace around my table. I purse my lips in annoyance.

“Can I help you?” I ask.

She stops and looks at me, nervously rubbing both hands together.

“We need to talk” she says.

“I'm busy” I reply curtly and focus back on my laptop screen.

“I don't want to get married.”

Of course you don't.

“And what makes you think I do?” I ask. “This fake one is already insufferable.”

She stays quiet before speaking up again.

“I told you I don't want to do this anymore.”

“I don't either” I retort, eyes still fixed on my laptop screen.

“So why am I still here?” she asks.

“I'm not standing in your way, am I?”

“I told you I'm only here because I don't know the way home.”

“So why are you asking me why you're still here?” I finally look up at her.

She looks flushed. She takes her time before speaking up again.

“Well why didn't you say anything to your family about them throwing us an actual wedding? I've told you, I don't want to marry you.”

“What's stopping you from telling her?” I ask. “The door's right there.”

She opens her mouth to say something else but closes it and angrily walks away. I groan in annoyance and shut the laptop.

✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽

❀ Noelle's POV

I stand on tiptoes and peep into the balcony. Keith was sitting there with his laptop; files scattered around the table. I nervously chew on my lip.

“You can do this Noelle. You're not afraid of him” I say to myself and take a deep breath.

My flip flops sound loudly on the floor till I reach the balcony. I freeze.

What are you doing Noelle?!

I gulp and suck in a breath.

“You've got this” I mouth inaudibly to myself.

I reach out my hand to tap him but I can't bring myself to do it. So I begin to pace. Up and down. From his table end to table end, making sure my flip flops were loud enough. I catch his jaw clench and he slowly takes his hand off the keyboard.

“Can I help you?” he asks.

His voice contained a different level of coldness. I thought I'd seen everything he could do but apparently, I might have just awoken an angrier side of him with my little intentional yet unintentional stunt.

I look at him and, my heart racing, and I nervously rub both of you hands together.

“We need to talk” I say.

The serious way I'd intended to sound failed and I sounded more terrified.

“I'm busy” he replies curtly and turns back to his laptop.

I chew nervously on my lip.

“I don't want to get married” I let out.

I didn't want to fight either but we're both too proud. Him more than me.