Agent Buckly and Barns lie next to me. The men and women help us to clean our wounds. They don't seem concerned until the woman pulls up my shirt slightly, revealing a gash in my lower right side of my abdomen. I curse. There is more movement and I shift uncomfortably. The woman, whose name I still have not gotten, pushes my shoulder down lightly, "Lie down, you're going to want to be still for these next parts."

The decaying ceiling stares me in the face, and I make note to mention the poor living conditions near the rebel bases to Percy. I see the woman press something to my bleeding side, and a burst of pain erupts at my side. Barns and Agent Buckly sit next to me, saying soothing words while I groan, my headache not helping.

The woman addresses a man, "There's shrapnel in there. I need something to take it out."

"But Dalia – "

"Get it."

He rummages through the closet of supplies. Flashlights shine over my wound, and I keep from looking at it. I notice Barns staring at me and I shift my head to look back at him, finding courage in his eyes. He leans over to tap my earpiece, saying, "Agent Chase is wounded severely, will need immediate transport back at first light."

I hear Percy scream something, but my pounding headache keeps me from making out his words. Barns notices my unsteady state and unhooks the earpiece from me. He presses it gently to his ear – not into it – his eyes darting back and forth as he processes the information. "Yes, that street," he responds. I watch him wince at something before looking at Dalia cleaning a knife and disinfectant supplies. "It's bad, they're about to get shrapnel out." He nods, "Yes, I will keep you updated, I – " Barns stops before, pressing the earpiece back into my ear, explaining, "They wanted you to hear their encouragements."

I nod weakly. Dalia speaks again, "Some are too deep, I'll get the more surface shards out but you need to get the rest out immediately at the palace – which is a risk. This is going to hurt really bad, I don't have anything to numb or help the pain." My mind processes the information. Either way, I have a chance of dying so I just smile at her in understanding. She covers her hand over mine, "Be brave, sweetie. I know you are."

And then the pain starts, the screaming following not long after. Barns has to press his hand over my mouth to muffle the agonizing sounds coming from me. I faintly hear my friends shouting encouragements in the earpiece, everything going on overload. My mind spins.

Percy's POV:

Her scream. Her screaming. It is the worst sound I have ever heard in my life. My hands are gripping the edge of the table so hard, I don't think they ever uncurl again. I occasionally shout encouragements, being drowned out by Jason freaking out, Katie crying and Thalia shouting into the mic.

Tears slip down my face and I struggle to grasp anything as the agony of not being there for her begins to rip me apart inside. I choke, hearing the screams escalate when we hear a woman say she's going to go a bit deeper.

Gosh, she's the bravest girl I've ever met. I love her so much.

Leo punches a cabinet, shouting, "AH!" Annabeth's sounds of awful pain in the background. He covers his ears, crouching.

I don't cover my ears because if she has to go through this pain, then I will endure it with her. I scoot closer, my salty tears landing on my cracked lips.

Annabeth's POV:

My chest heaves up and down while I scream through gritted teeth and Barns' cold, damp hand. Tears streak down the side of my face. Dalia pulls away, panting herself. "I can't go any deeper, you need to get professional medical attention for those pieces."