"Tommy?" I hear a voice call out down the way. Barns stops before sprinting in a hobble kind of way. He's trying his best. The feminine voice echoes down the eerie street again, crying out, "Tommy!"

When the pair rush into a hug in the middle of the street a couple feet away, it occurred to me I never knew Barns' first name. I watch the two fall onto the ground, the pebbles no doubt scrapping their boney knees, sobbing.

Agent Buckly breaks the ice, "So, Tommy Barns." He tests the name on his pale lips.

I reach out a hand to Jade who looks up at us, "Annabeth Chase."

"She's actually Mage Brynn 2.0," Barns comments and I laugh, the movement hurting my side.

Agent Buckly introduces himself while I observe the siblings as they slowly stand up, Jade clinging to her brother like a lifeline – and maybe he is. The people we love most in our lives help us truly live. I think of everyone back at the palace; of Leo and his horrible jokes, Jason and his overbearing, confident ways, Thalia of her spontaneous thoughts and way of understanding me in my insane ideas, Piper who loves to be girly and shows that every type of personality in girls are unique, Katie who is always able to take control and keep a cool head and Percy who – my mind stammers – makes me laugh and contributes to my happiness in so many ways.

"Ja-Ja, this is the girl," Barns points to me, his arm still around his sister. "who rescued me out of that dreadful place. Saved all of us."

Jade lets go of Barns and embraces me firmly. A small woman with such a strong grip, I think when all the air leaves me. My arms circle around her and I rest my head on top of hers, just now noticing how short she truly is.

Agent Buckly speaks my gut feeling, "We should go inside, already drawn enough attention coming into the village."

Jade Barns pulls back, walking stiffly to a small, shabby house on the left, "Agreed." We follow her, me taking the tail end of the group.

The front gate squeals when I close it behind, the cold metal shocking my stiff hands. I shove my hands into my pockets, trying to distract myself from the false sense of security. Sure, this is safer than the open hills and valleys, but rebels are scattered in villages like these – especially with this one so close to headquarters. We are to leave at first light, and once I am in the palace gates I will relax more. But I swear on everything, I will not rest until Cruz and the Northern Rebels are taken down and not only Percy is safe but my friends who have become family to me and the rest of the kingdom are not terrified in their homes anymore.

The walk into the house is slow, but there is a blur of movement once we're in. A massive family greets us. I pat a few younger children's hair, all mixing in various skin tones. I smile at their adorable toothy grins and excitement to have someone visiting. The teens smile at us grimly from the floor where they play cards. An old man merely glances us over from his chair, his shining silver hair brushed out of his dull, brown eyes. And last but not least an array of adults hugs us, some pale and others darker skin. A big family indeed. Barns gets many slaps on the back as he embraces the kids and adults, tears still streaming down his cheeks. Everyone ushers us in, a man looking down the street before shutting the door. A smell of spice and lemons greets me when I fully step in.

A slender, tall woman takes my hand and leads me with the others into a room down the hall, all windows covered with sheets. A mat is on the floor, and I notice them getting out medical supplies. Holding up a hand, I say, "Oh no, you don't have to, we are already too much trouble to take in let alone using your supplies."

The woman looks at me, "You are hurt, lie down."

"I – " I begin to protest but a sharp pain prods my side and I give in.