CHAPTER 8

I drop my brother off at his hotel to rest; after his long flight. I go to the cinema to watch a movie, and I am going all by myself, which is sad. Khloe could not come with me, and no other friends of mine have an interest in the movie I am going to watch. I had to wait for a long time in the queue to buy my ticket; the film premiered today. So I am not surprised by the number of people here to watch the same movie as I. I have also gotten my popcorn and drink. I am walking towards the cinema room when I bump into someone. I didn't see the person in front of me because I was looking at my wristwatch to be sure I was not late.

"I am sorry, I was not looking at where I was going," I say to the person and when a particular perfume hit my nostril. I realise who it is without the person turning around.

The person turns and faces me without saying anything. Ethan just stands there staring at me, and I don't know why he is staring at me. I also feel like this time his stare is not one out of hatred. It feels like it's a stare out of curiosity. I don't know how I can tell the difference, but I can, even with just looking at his eyes for three seconds.

"I need to talk to you," Ethan says with no emotion in his voice. I don't know, but he sounds colder than before. Why? Is he angry I saved his life? If he is, then he has serious issues, but I can feel it's something more. I don't know why today I just feel the aura around him is different. I won't say friendly, but it's also not dark and filled with hatred.

"Right now," I say looking at my wristwatch, and the movie is about to start

"Yes, now," Ethan says in a stern voice

"I can't; the movie is about to start."

"Really, I am being serious here, and you are telling me you will be late for your movie. To hell with your movie" Ethan says, sounding angry. Why is he mad? It's not like I did anything wrong? What is his problem with me this evening? I usually have to say or do something to make him angry, but today he is angry at me without me doing anything.

"Ethan, I came here to watch a movie, and I am going to watch that movie whether you like it or not," I say and walk towards the movie hall. I don't care if he wants to speak with me. I came here to enjoy myself by watching a movie, and he is not going to ruin that

I feel Ethan steps following behind me, so I increase my steps and quickly get into the hall. Alhamdulillah, I was able to get in before he reached me. I take my seat and get comfortable to enjoy the movie when a deep familiar voice whispers in my ears.

"I need to talk to you now," Ethan says in the seat beside me.

"Ethan I am busy right now," I say getting frustrated with his behaviour this night

"You are not, so let's leave," Ethan says and is about to grab my hand when I swing it away

"Ethan don't touch me, and no, I am not going anywhere with you. I came here to watch this movie, and I am going to whether you like it or not"

"Adina don't test my patience," Ethan says, gritting his teeth. He grabs my wrist, causing me to face him. The look in his eyes tells me how much I have pushed him to the wall. I have never seen this look on Ethan except for that day in the library. I swallow a lump in my throat and do what he wants. I don't want to think about what he might do to me with that look in his eyes.

"Fine let's go," I say, crying in my heart because I won't be able to watch the movie. I wonder what he wants to talk about so badly. Ethan can be so annoying

Ethan drags me out of the movie hall and into his car. I don't say anything as he drives away from the cinema. I wonder where he is taking us.

After almost killing both of us with the fast way he was driving, the car finally comes to a halt. Ethan steps out, and I follow suit. I don't know where we are, but they are a lot of trees around. I am starting to get scared because Ethan might want to do something harmful to me since no one is here to see him. I wonder where we are, or even why we are here? I don't even get to take a step away from the car before Ethan backs me up.

"Why did you save me that night? Did you do it so that you can have leverage over me? Tell me why you saved me that night" Ethan says, shouting in my face with little space between us. Ya Allah he is dangerously close to me, I hope he does not do something inappropriate.

"What is wrong with you?" I say in a voice far too soft to sound like mine. I don't know, but for some odd reason, I feel something is wrong with Ethan. How can he think I would save him for such a stupid reason? Something must be causing Ethan to think this way.

"What are you saying? I asked you a question, answer me" Ethan says, coming closer to my face with a lot of anger. I don't like the way he is close to me.

"Ethan, please can you move back a bit," I say still not caring to answer his question. I may not sound like I am terrified right now, but I am. Ethan is so angry that I feel any wrong word and its story they will be telling about me tomorrow. Why I have not answered him yet is because he is too close to me. This position we are in is not Islamic, and I am scared he can do something harmful to me, he needs to move back.

"Why are you not answering?" Ethan says, shaking my whole body while roaring in my face. His hands are locked on my arms. He is placing a bit of pressure on my arms which is causing them to hurt a little.

"Fine, I will. I saved you because I could not see you die that night" I say giving up all hope of him giving me my space.

"Why!"

"Because Ethan even though I dislike you more than anyone in this world. I will also save you when I see you in danger. I can't turn a blind eye to anyone in danger."

"That's a lie, stop lying to me and tell me the truth," Ethan says, making my eyes lock with his. I try to turn away, but he presses my arm to look at him. I look into his eyes, and I see a lot of emotions going through. I can tell that Ethan is in conflict with himself right now, but why.

"That is the truth, Ethan; I saved you because I couldn't watch you die. I am a human being for God sake, how can I watch someone else die in front of me" I say trying to make him believe me

"Ahhhha," Ethan says, releasing his hold on me while screaming in agony. I don't know why that just happened, but I think something is wrong with Ethan. Like film trick, Ethan gets into his car and drives away, leaving me there all alone, and the worst part is, I don't even know where I am.