House of the Rising Sun

HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN
(Edited)

A GIRL NAMED HAYLEY WALKED UP TO A SHOP JUST AS IT WAS CLOSING UP.

The two people, a woman and a boy.

"We're closed, sorry," Katie told her, aiming to leave.

"I just need one teeny, tiny little herb," Hayley replied

"Please?" Katie and the boy shared a look.

"Go ahead and go Athan, your father probably is wondering where you are."

The boy, Athan, hesitated, looking at Hayley, and seemingly deciding she's not a threat, and just wanted a herb, he left.

Katie sighed.

Athan had been through way too much in the last couple of months, his whole family had.

"Which herb?" Katie asked once the boy, Athan, is well out of sight.

"Crushed aconite flower."

Katie's voice went to a whisper, her eyes wide. "Wolfsbane? That's a poison. You're gonna kill a wolf?"

Harley looked down at her stomach.

"Just a little one."

Katie looked down, understanding flashing on her face.

"Give me a minute." She slipped back into the Voodoo shop, coming back holding a phial with wolfsbane in it.

"Cut it with jimson weed. A few drops in some hot tea - that should do it."

"Here," Hayley said, attempting to hand her money. Katie shook her head, refusing it.

"It's an ugly town for wolves," Katie told her. "You're doing the right thing."

Hayley nodded, walking away, her eyes downcast.

Katie, as soon as the werewolf was out of hearing range, picked up her phone and called her boyfriend, Thierry.

"Hey, wanna gain points? Tell Marcel there's a werewolf in the Quarter."

It was night now. Hayley sat on a bench at Bienville Park, dripping the wolfsbane into a cup

"Come on, Hayley," she told herself.
"One upset stomach and all this stupid drama is ancient history."

She was about to drink the poison....Then she can't.

She sighed.

She stood up as soon as she heard a branch snap, her defensive instinct being clear.

She narrowed her eyes. It was just the boy from the Voodoo Shop. What was his name?

Athan.

"You're the boy from the Voodoo Shop," Hayley stated, cautiously.

"Athan," Athan said, holding out his hand. It hanged there, for a few seconds, not shaken. Eventually, he let it drop.

"You must be Hayley."

Hayley looked at him, abruptly, at the mention of her untold name. "How did you know that?"

The boy chuckled, looking at her, face to face. "Some witches have special powers, I myself have the power to know someone's name automatically, kind of like Rumpleslitskin."