Fruits of The Poisoned Tree

{unedited}

Mikaelson Mansion, Third Person

While Rebekah scrubbed the blood-stained carpet, Athan walked into the room. "You summoned me vampire, what do you want?" He voice dripping with sarcasm.

He looked at the title of the book that Klaus was reading.

"Poetry about poisoned apples from dead trees," He commented. "Looks like someone's worried about impending daddyhood." Rebekah actually laughed at that.

Klaus shook his head. "Nonsense," Klaus replied. "Elijah's back. In his presence, all problems turn to pixie-dust and float away!"

As Rebekah and Klaus grinned, Athan wondered out loud. "Elijah? The honorable original?" He hadn't met their brother yet.

"Strange, I don't recall any pixie-dust from the darkness of the coffin I was recently forced to endure," Elijah said, coming into the room. He looked at Athan, and his expression suddenly looked amused.

"Agatha mentioned she had a brother," He told Athan. "She didn't tell me that you both looked nearly exactly alike." He looked at Klaus, than back to Athan "Might I ask what you're doing here?"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out," Athan replied, looking at Klaus.

"I'm just curious on what part you play in this fascinating story involving your sister, Agatha," Klaus told him.

Athan tried to hide his annoyance with the fact that Klaus won't stop calling his sister Agatha when she liked to be called Aggie.

Klaus continued. "Was it a mere accident that you stumbled upon Hayley that day?" Klaus asked. "Or are you doing exactly what Sophie Deveraux is telling you to do?"

Athan looked up at that, his eyes flashing with anger. "You think I'm helping Sophie?" He asked. "Why would I help Sophie when I know she's trying to kill my sister? You're the one that dragged me here to be around her. And when I met Hayley, she stumbled upon me, not the other way around, it was a complete accident."

"But, you see, I know you play some part in this," Klaus replied. Athan sighed, but didn't speak.

"You should probably tell my brother what he wants to know," Elijah spoke. "He's not known for his patience."

"Aggie has a target all over her, by the witches, by Sophie in particular, when I met Hayley I realized I could try to figure out if you wanted to kill her."

He looked at all three of the originals. "I mean, none of you exactly have angel-like reputations."

Klaus titled his head, agreeing. "I believe him, Athan was it?" Elijah commented. "He's part is to protect his sister, his family. I can understand that. There's no reason to kill him Klaus."

"Oh, how many times have I heard those words," Klaus retorted.

Elijah chuckled and opened his mother's grimoire.

"What are you doing with Mother's spellbook?" Rebekah asked.

"Well, in exchange for my freedom, I promised Davina and Agatha that I would share a few pages from Mother's grimoire," Elijah replied. "To help her learn to control her magic. I thought we'd begin with a little unlinking spell."

Rebekah, Klaus, even Athan, all looked at each other in confusion.

"Wait, you want to use them to unlink Hayley from Sophie Deveraux?" Rebekah asked, stunned.

"You want to use them to do what you want," Athan said, mad.

"She threatens not only the life of Agatha and Davina, but Hayley," Elijah told him. "At least we make sure she cannot hurt one of those people. And I will protect all three of those people, I promise."