An Unblinking Death

{unedited}

THE BAYOU -

"Why am I here again?" I asked Hayley. They were in a shack out in the Bayou and Eve and Celina were helping Hayley prepare for giving birth. I honestly didn't know why I was here.

"You're here for moral support," Hayley replied. "So act morally."

I gave a lazy thumbs up in response. What else could I do? I didn't know what was going to happen. There was a forty percent chance that Hayley and her baby would be fine. Then there was sixty percent that she and her baby would be killed by vampires or witches, maybe a jealous werewolf? There were tons of supernatural creatures out there, draw from a hat and pick one.

The odds weren't really in her favor. And with all the bad stuff happening in my life, like the witches trying to kill my sister, my parents willing to let them kill my sister, my sister eventually dying, my mother hijacking her return, my mother wanting to reunite our family, my drunk dad stopping being drunk because of his wife but not his son, this coven from Oregon that killed seven Perry relatives in 2000 because they had made these special rings, and then, lastly, Samaria dying because of me. Yeah, I definitely wasn't the best person hired to cheer her up.

"That's it," Eve told Hayley, as they both did it. "Inhale and release."

"I guess this means no epidural, huh?" Hayley asked, seemingly knowing the answer. "You sure I can't do this thing in, say, a hospital, the place with the doctors and the drugs?"

"Honey, the werewolves have been having babies out here since before you and me were born," Celina told her. "Stop worrying."

"Okay," Hayley replied. "Then what? I don't even know what it's like to have a mother, let alone be one."

"Trust me, when the time comes, you'll know exactly what to do," Eve told her.

"I hope so," Hayley said, tiredly. "As fun as it is to image Klaus changing dirty diapers, I'm pretty sure that I'll be doing this alone."

I rolled my eyes, and looked at the outline that was Elijah Mikaelson.

"I somehow doubt that," I retorted, as Elijah stood in the doorway.

"Pardon the interruption," Elijah pardoned. "I wonder if I might have a quick word with the conspirators of a supposed uprising."

I stayed in the shack with Eve and Celina as Hayley, Elijah, Jackson and Oliver talked. Eve accused herself shortly, sharing a sly smile with Celina.

"So," I muttered awkwardly. "So...." Celina said. "I'm sorry about that witch, Samaria. I didn't know her, but...she um.. was your friend."

"She was my friend," I nodded, speaking in past tense. "Biggest mistake of her life."

Celina looked at me, worried. "What's that suppose to mean?"

I shrugged. "You know people just seem to die around me," I said nonchalantly, like we were just talking about what day it was and not how a puppy named Death seemed to like wagging its tail and following me around. Then it ultimately peed on my shoe.

"So what should everyone start calling you the Grim Reaper?" Celina asked, sarcastically. "Athan you don't cause death, you just happen to live in an unlucky world."

"If this is Earth, than maybe I should move to Mars?" I said, smirking. Celina snickered. "I know this might not make you feel better, but Mars would probably be worse."

"Nothing could be worse than this," I muttered. "My parents are crazy and all the people I loved are dead. I'm alone."

Celina looked at me, her eyes holding some distinct emotion that I couldn't place. Perhaps it was pity or maybe a friend's love. Noting the emotion was something I had seen before when we younger, when we used to play as kids. Those were good times. Her family had been friends with mine, which was very unusual considering witches had placed a curse on werewolves by that time.