The Myth • Part One

THE MYTH pt. 1
{edited}

"It's a ritual our coven does every three centuries, so that the bond to our ancestral magic is restored," Athan replied. "We appease our ancestors, they keep our ancestral power flowing."

"And why haven't I heard of this?" Klaus asked.

"Because a Harvest always seemed like a myth," Sophie told the. "A story, passed on through generations like Noah's ark, or the Buddha walking on water. The kind some people take literally, and some people don't."

Flashback

Young girl witches knelt in a row, placed into two categories, the ones that were sixteen and the ones that were fifteen. The sixteen year old row faced the fifteen year old row, and the fifteen year old row faced the sixteen year olds.

There was a gap in the middle so you could walk in between.

An older witch and an elder, Bastiana held a knife and went to the group of fifteen year olds first. Only one would be chosen for the Harvest. Bastiana looked over the young girls, starting with the first girl, Samaria. "To be reborn, we must have faith." Samaria repeated it, after that Bastiana went to the next girl.

She bends down to the girl, Agatha, and made a small cut on her hand. "To be reborn, we must have hope," Bastiana said.

"To be reborn, we must have hope," Agatha repeated, smiling.

Bastiana smiled at her and than went to the next girl. After she finished with the fifteen year old girls, she turned and went to the other row. She asked the first girl, than went along to the second.

She made a small cut, the same as had done with the others, on the second girl, Monique's hand.

"To be reborn, we must sacrifice," Bastiana said.

"To be reborn, we must sacrifice," Monique repeated.

Bastiana went to the third girl, Abigail, and cut her hand. "To be reborn, we must have faith," Bastiana said once again.

"To be reborn, we must have faith," Abigail repeated. Bastiana went to the fourth girl, Cassie. "Do you have faith in the Harvest?" Bastiana asked her, cutting her hand.

Before Cassie could answer, Sophie showed up, apparently angry.

"Not for a second!" Sophie shouted. Monique, who was Sophie's niece, looked at her angry aunt. "Sophie!"  "

"What are you doing?" Sophie asked anyone in particular. "Saving the community you renounced," Bastiana retorted.

"You're all ridiculous," Sophie replied. "Monique, seriously?"

"My mom told me I had to," Monique told her.

"Yeah. Well, your mom and I are gonna have words," Sophie told her, storming away. Agatha, curiously, watched as she left. So did Davina, who was the last girl in the sixteen year old line.

Present

"They had the girls of our community preparing for months," Sophie explained.

"Five would be choosen for the Harvest, four sixteen year old girls and one fifteen year old. They said that it was an honor, that they were special. I thought it was a myth."

"Was it?" Rebekah asked. Sophie looked down, and before she can answer, Klaus's phone ringed.

"Marcel," Klaus acknowledged. "Bit early in the day for you, isn't it?"

"I know, I make this look easy, but I still have an empire to run."

"Rather you than me," Klaus lied. "All that responsibility seems like such a bore."

"Well, this might spice things up," Marcel said. "I just heard about a bunch of dead witches out in the bayou. The kinda damage a werewolf might do, only there was no full moon. I have an informant out there I need to meet and I would love for you to go with me."

"Dead witches in the bayou," Klaus said loudly, looking at the two witches in the room, Sophie and Athan. Both of them look up, surprised, and interested now.

"Sounds like less of a problem, and more like a cause for celebration."

"Well, something killed them," Marcel replied. "And may still be out there. And with your blood the only cure for a werewolf bite, I would love for you to accompany me."

"Oh, why not?" Klaus said. "Haven't been to the bayou in ages. I'm on my way."

"Peace out, brother."

Klaus hanged up, as did Marcel.

"You can't go out there now," Sophie told him. "I need to gather the witches' remains and consecrate them. If I don't get to them before sundown, we'll lose the link to their magic."

"Those witches tried to kill Hayley," Klaus replied. "I'd prefer for Marcel's informant not to find anything that would lead him back to us, to her, or to... you know...." He pointed to Hayley's pregnant stomach.."....That."

"You are all class," Hayley muttered, before drinking from the cup in her hand.  Klaus ignored her and pointed at both Sophie and Athan. "You two, stay put. And save the rest of your story 'til I return."