12| That's Not How the Lecture Goes

Start from the beginning

As Wednesday approached, I sat in the lecture room and lowered my gaze when I feel a sudden wave of stress as he walked in.

I came earlier than anyone else. Still, this was med school. Soon, everyone came to talk to the professor, and even if I dared to confront him, what would I say?

"Good morning, class." He starts.

If one could try staring at Professor Florentino, the muscular brown-haired Stanford professor– they wouldn't find anything wrong about him. And I didn't blame people for that. I knew he seemed extraordinary. Ridiculously so.

"Third row, second chair, pay attention."

The professor addressed the redhead sitting right in front of me as the girl jolted from the tone. I let out a sigh as I find myself facing an exasperated glare knowing that this comment was pointed to me even if it didn't address me. Understandably, I was drafting what I knew about him and how he could know who I am.

I left my sketchbook and continued listening to the lecture. I kept my face pleasant, my expression thoughtful, my eyes guarded, as the professor continued his speech.

"I would rethink that answer, Ms.Harris."

At that quietly issued reply, I froze momentarily, as he would pick helpless Yolanda to answer. My hand was beside me; my face fell to the floor.

I glanced over to where Professor Florentino stood glowering down on a hapless Yolanda. I sucked in a short breath when I recognized the division Yolanda's shaking grip picked. Rhombencephalon, not mesencephalon. Oh, Yolanda.

"Ms. Harris, do you know what is the position of the hindbrain and a mesencephalon?"

I winced as Professor Florentino was practically giving her the answer while she stood there in fear. The language barrier is a real thing with this girl; as we all know, she is smart, but she has a harder time following verbal questions.

I didn't need to look around to know that everyone's eyes were focused on Yolanda and the professor.

"Does anyone in this class of supposedly academically superior students know the three simple brain main divisions?"

I tilted my head, my mind running over the various names used so far. My head snapping up to look into Yolanda's full, terrifying gaze. Not wanting to open my mouth and draw attention to myself, I still found myself unable not to help. Eyes still trapped in Yolanda's panicked gaze, I slowly raised my hand as everyone else seemed to distract to answer.

"Look alive, people!" His voice practically bounced off the walls. "I know it is 8 am but please focus!"

A stunned silence followed the command, punctuated by the pop of bubblegum.

After a few seconds, "Ah, it would seem that Miss Ezz has worked out the simple divisions. How typical. Well, Miss Ezz, do enlighten me as to the issue at hand."