maniac

"Whats the matter?" Melo's tall figure stood in the of the door frame of his bedroom.

I deadpanned him as he acted like he didn't know what he did.

"Melo are you kidding me? You asking me what the matter is? Okay since you wanna play stupid. Where did you go?"

"Out with Zo I told you that."

"You wanna elaborate on that?" I raised my eyebrow.

I already knew everything so he couldn't lie.

"Look I didn't cheat. If that's what your wondering." Melo said nonchalantly.

I let out the hardiest laugh I've ever had. Didn't cheat my ass.

"How am I supposed to believe that, Melo?"

"Maya, you said so yourself if we don't have trust then we don't have anything."

"Okay but now you're contradicting my words, Melo! You accused me of cheating when you had no damn evidence! But if you didn't cheat then what is this? What is it? Huh?" I got off the bed and walked up to him and waved my phone in his face.

I slammed the phone in his chest and he took ahold of it. I turned around as he examined the picture.

"Shit." He muttered. He only made it more obvious.

"I ride for you, I tell you I love you, I forgive you and this is what I get in return?" I looked down but then I turned back around "I trusted you, Melo. With my heart." I said jabbing my hand into my chest multiple times.

"My heart! Shit Melo! I'm in love with you and this is what you do?" I get a little louder. My hot temper tantrum was short lived when Zo walked into the room.

"Sorry to interrupt but, we found Denise. Ashley said she's at her place. The police on they way to her house."

"Okay." I say trying to steady my breathing.

Melo being next to me made me feel claustrophobic so I walked down the stairs and away from him.

-

"So what's the deal with you and Melo?" Zo glanced over at me for a second before he put his focus back on the sandwhich in front of him.

After 20 minutes of silence, Zo decided to come outside and bother me.

"According to the shade room, you should already know, Lonzo." I crossed my arms. In the post it said that him and Ally were booed up together as well tonight. A double date.

"He didn't cheat."

"Hm."

That was all I could say. I really thought that after all Melo and I went through, he gave up on me for some random girl off the streets. Deep down, part of me didn't want to believe that he cheated but sometimes it was better to think with your head, not your heart.

I guess my heart might've been the correct choice after all.

"He shouldn't have came but he was only doing it for me. He's stupid, you know that." Zo nudged my shoulder. I just shook my head and a small smile crept on my face.

He really was stupid.

"He really does love you, Maya. This ain't none I've ever seen from him. This a lil cheesy but yaw are like meant to be or some shit." He chuckled and shook his head.

Zo was a good brother. He was just trying to put Melo back in my good graces. Maybe he didn't do anything. I just wanted to hear it from his mouth. Zo was making it sound too good.

Zo and I sat outside by the pool while we waited for a call or anything to signal that Denise was arrested.

The police hadn't made it to Ashley's yet. The night had aged. It was almost pitch black outside but only the small lights from the house were keeping it visible enough for you to walk and see where your going.

The crickets were chirping and the dew was forming on the grass. The air was humid and the air was quiet.

It was calm as we sat and waited for something to happened. Anything.

"How do you feel about this?"

"Who me?"

"Yes, Zo. Who else? We the only ones out here." I rolled my eyes.

"My bad," he chuckled, "uh I don't know how to feel. I mean there isn't any excuse for what she did. I can't even fathom what the hell she tried to do. Attempted murder? Damn. I don't know what imma do with Zoey and everything but I'll make it work. It don't matter what typpa shit happens because guess what? Life goes on. And I go along with it."

And he was right. It wasn't his fault Denise was crazy. But it was his fault that he had to deal with her for the rest of his life. He definitely wouldn't change anything if it meant giving Zoey up, though.

Suddenly, the gated entrance started to rattle and Zo and I both got up.

"What the hell-" Zo began to say but was cut off when he saw who was rattling the gate.

"Denise?" I shakily stated who I saw.

"Yes bitch! It's me! Hahaha! Why you with my man? Huh? You fucking hoe!" She rattled the gate again.

"Leave her alone, Denise." Zo said standing up and placing hisself in front of me.

"Move! Zo!" Denise yelled back.

"I can't do that. I'm sorry."

"I said move Zo! I don't wanna have to you this on you babe."

"Oh shit! Where you the hell did you get a gun from?"

I peaked from the side of Zo and there she was with a black pistol in her hands.

Before she got arrested, she came to finish the job she started.

She came to kill me.

"Why are you doing this to me? Why Denise? You ruined my life! My brother is in the hospital! My best friend is dead! It's all your fault! As soon as I met you, you had it out for me! I have nothing to do with Zo so why are you so mad at me? Huh? I've never felt this sad in my life, I haven't been stably happy in weeks. So there! Is that what you wanted? You're psycho! You might as well pull the trigger, Denise. Maybe you'll end up doing me a favor."

"No, Maya. Don't say that. She wants this exact reaction from you. You giving her what she wants. You gotta relax." Zo tried to explain.

I nodded slowly and stood up from the table. I was still behind Zo as he continued to stare down Denise.

"On the count of three, we gone run in the house." Zo quietly planned.

"Ok." I whispered.

1...

"Maya. Stop hiding!"

2...

"You took everything from me you bitch!"

3!

"Go! Go! Go!"

A gunshot went off as soon as we made a run for it.