uber

flashback

"Do you like anybody, Maya?" Madison asked me as I finished up flat ironing the last part of her hair.

It was the first day of middle school and I couldn't have been more excited.

"Well there was Tommy, but he said he only likes white girls." I explained shrugging my shoulders.

Mads shook her head, "He's ugly anyway." I imagined his face in my mind, his light brown freckles slowly seemed more and more unattractive.

I just giggle and look at her reflection from in the mirror, "What about you, Madison. Any boys on your mind?" Her eyes widened for a second and then she lifted her hand to her chin in a thinking motion.

Before she could answer, Kyle busted through my bedroom door, "Maya, momma said yaw gotta be downstairs by 8:30." He had his uniform on, his backpack already secured on his back.

He stayed longer than I wanted and I said, "Okay, thanks Ky. Get out." Mads covered her mouth and chuckled looking over at Kyle.

He broke out of his daze and then stuck out his tongue,
shutting the door.

I never got Madison's answer that day but it was pretty obvious now.

After all she was the one Kyle was staring at.
-

"So where are you headed, young lady?"

The uber driver made eye contact with me through the rear view mirror. He was a middle aged man, not much hair but was confident enough to not wear a hat. He gave me a genuine smile.

"Here, please." I handed him my phone so he could put the directions into his gps. Once he was finished, we were in route for my destination.

I rested my head on the cold window and shut my eyes. The event replayed in my mind. The  hand placement, the way Kyle was smiling.

I hated it.

In disgust, I wipe away my tears vigorously.

Me being angry was an understatement, I was furious. But there was something else I was feeling too, betrayal. My own brother chose to go behind my back and sleep with my best friend.

She could've prevented it, but she let him in her guts. Madison the faithful best friend. There was a small pain in my heart that didn't go unnoticed.

It isn't fair at all for not only Kyle but Madison to go behind my back and do something like this. It's foul and cruel. I trusted her, I mean that's what you're supposed to do when you have a best friend. Trust them.

"Is it okay if I ask, is there something the matter?" The driver asks me. It didn't seem like he wanted to be nosy but only to see if I was okay.

Sniffling, I inhale deeply, "I'm just having a bit of family trouble." I didn't want to go into detail.

"Well young lady, I'm not sure what you're going through but I don't think you should dwell on it. Family is family and you can't change that."

The 'advice' he gave didn't make sense. Just because family is there forever doesn't mean they couldn't do toxic shit to you.

Lightly nodding my head, I lay my head back on the window pondor.

My phone rung and I looked down to see who it was.

Madison it read. I pressed the off button so I could silence the ringer. Like I was going to answer the call.

My phone rung again but this time it was Kyle. I finally made the decision to my put my phone on do not disturb.

"Family is family"

bullshit.
-
melo

"One more, son." I hit a clean three from behind the 3-point line.

"Nice." I mean it nothing new to me, been doin the shit since I was three. I wiped the sweat from my face with my t-shirt. We were out on our court today. Big baller thought it would be a good idea for me to get some extra drills in before I started playing next week.

The Drew League wasn't ready for me.

The Drew League was a league that most players would come and play in over the summer. Dad said it's a good way to keep me 'fine tuned' for next year's season. My dad always had something up his sleeve when it came to basketball and I never had a clue what was up next.

First it was just regular high school then he took me and Gelo over the damn sea to play for a wonky ass team. Then there was the JBA but we all saw how that went when I left. Last, we back were it all started Chino Hills. I missed it here and I couldn't help but wanna finish up here with high-school and bein closer to my ma. She loved to see me play, and you already know I had to give the people what they wanted.

But this was my senior year and with my dad being him.. I had a feeling I wasn't gone be here any longer than I needed to be.

There was so much shit to think about with me and basketball, school, Maya..
but I wasn't gone let my mind wander. Staying in the moment was what I was all about. I let the ball go and it goes in, nothing but net.

My phone lit up from the chair I threw it in earlier.

I grabbed my phone to see there was an incoming call from Kyle:

"Oh wassup chinchilla." I say snickering.

"Hey Melo. We got a problem."

I furrowed my brows. We?

"Nigga what you mean we? What happened?"

"Maya is gone and she ain't answering my calls." Kyle seemed guilty about something, I could hear it in his voice.

"Wait what you say?" I didn't register his words until a few moments later.

"I said Maya is missing.."

I slowly lowered
my phone from my ear. I ain't needa hear anything anymore.

Was she okay? Is she in danger? I ain't know what to think. So I didn't.

"Ay, where you going son? We ain't done." My dad asked from behind me. I ignored him and went to look for my keys
to my G-wagon.

Not caring to change, I got in my car and turned the key. The engine roared life.

I unlocked my phone to see if she had her location on. She mad goofy for this one.. she left it on.

With that being said, I was on my way to get my girl.

But why was her ass on the way to the Airport?

if yaw couldn't tell this was a filler chapter 🤦🏽‍♀️

school has been taking over and I haven't had the motivation to type so bear with me.

ttyl 💕