ease the pain

⚠️ WARNING⚠️ : this chapter may be triggering for others who have or have had eating disorders.

a.n: i might dabble in talking about Maya not eating (lack of an appetite) and I wanted to make sure i gave y'all a warning before you read this chapter. i understand that having eating disorders or starving yourself are very SERIOUS topics and I thought I would include it in my book to bring awareness to it! please don't starve yourselves guys. you don't gotta be skinny to be a baddie (skinny people are baddies too tho!). if any of y'all needa talk and are afraid of family or friends. Im a really good listener 🥺

⚠️ ANOTHER  WARNING ⚠️

This chapter also contains sexual content. 👀

I whipped through the metal clothing rack, looking for something that I actually favored to buy. Retail therapy was a good way to solve a problem temporarily. I was just trying to occupy my mind from thinking about the argument I had with my boyfriend, my best friend passing, and me finding out the suspect that started the fire. I really just needed a breather. So when Lena offered to come pick me up to go shopping with her and Audrey, I accepted gladly.

I just wanted to run away from my problems for a small moment.

"Earth to Maya. Hello?" Lena tapped my shoulder which dragged me away from my thoughts.

I plastered a fake smile on my face, "Oh sorry."

"It's okay girl. What do you think of this top?" She pulled a white ribbed tank top up to her chest. Lena's silky,  flat ironed hair moved as she made silly poses, waiting for my opinion.

"It's plain but cute. You should get I guess." I let out a small chuckle.

"Guys I'm getting hungry. We should hit the food court." Audrey interrupted us, holding her stomach in agony.

"Okay yeah that sounds like a good idea." Lena says cheerfully.

~

"Are you sure that's all you want? Just some water? You're not hungry for some pretzels at least?" Audrey continued to nag at me as we went to go sit down at one of the tables in the food court.

"Oh my god, for the one hundredth time. Im not hungry, Audrey. My appetite is completely gone." I fussed lightly at her.

I understand that Audrey was a little curious but my intentions on not eating were pure. I just wasn't hungry. At all. For the past couple of weeks I had only been nibbling on food and drinking water because I just wasn't hungry. I've been to busy being overwhelmed with my brother being in the hospital and stuff that I lost my appetite for anything and everything.

"Okay. Sorry." Audrey had a guilty look on her face.

"Its okay. I'm sorry for snapping at you. It's just, I'm really not hungry. I swear I'm not trying to not eat."

She just nodded.

~

I gathered my shopping bags from the back of Lena's car and shut the door behind me.

Audrey rolled down the passenger side window.

"Thanks girls for today. I really had fun."  Lena and Audrey were really kind and sweet but they were already best friends and I didn't want to force myself into their friend group just because I lost my only real friend. My best friend.