come clean

ashley

"Just let me know if you see her, alright? This is very serious."

"Okay."

"Thank you." I could hear the tiredness in Zo's voice. I removed the phone from my ear and ended the call.

"Is he gone?"

I nodded slowly.

"Good. I was getting tired of being quiet."

I rubbed my arm awkwardly as she continued to make herself comfortable as if I told her to make herself at home.

It was 4:00 in the morning and Denise came banging at my door for whatever reason. I asked her what was going in and she begged me to let her in first. So I did. It didn't help that I just got a call from my ex boyfriend's brother either. I was starting to get a little nervous.

Denise became my friend when I first started dating Melo. At the time she was with Zo and we got along really well. Whenever I would be over there for Melo, she would be over there for Zo, so we just started bonding and became really good friends. Sometimes it was weird though just because Denise was almost 30 and I just turned 18. But she was a nice friend.

Now we're both exes of the Ball brothers. Funny right? Denise still wants Zo though. He just don't want her. She would always drone on and on about how much she needed him. She never stopped trying to come up with plans to get Zo back but they all failed.

She was slowly but surely going crazy .. but for love.

And I was too. Until I realized what I was worth. When Melo and I first broke up for the last time, I had a mental break down. I shut myself in my room for the first month, and like Denise, I started scheming to get back at Maya, Melo's girlfriend, for getting with him.

But then I realized that it wasn't Maya's fault that Melo didn't love me. It wasn't Melo's either. It was mine for making Melo have so much control over my emotions and how I felt about others just to please him. I was insecure. I was scared that I would never be enough for him. And maybe I wasn't, but that was fine.

It was okay that I wasn't the love of his life or he didn't love me because now I love myself and I now know my worth. I know that someday,  there will be someone who actually realizes that.

I really wanted Denise to realize that also but maybe.. she was just too far gone. What she was about to tell me was going to prove that real quick.

"Okay you have to be quiet my parents are sleeping. They would kill me if they knew I snuck you in!" I dragged my hand across my face stressfully.

She walked into my dimly lit living room. She plopped down on the soft creme couch and propped her feet on the ottoman.

I really didn't want her here right now. Recently, Denise had been insulting my new friend, Maya and it didn't sit right with me. She had continued to shit talk Maya constantly. The poor girl didn't even do anything to Denise.

I was all about positive vibes and good energy and Denise wasn't bringing any of that to the table.

"Okay so can you please tell me what the hell is going on?" I sat down on the seat across from her.

"Well. Um. So I made a mistake." She began rubbing her chipped acrylic hands on her leggings.

"What mistake?" I asked slowly, not sure if I was ready to hear what was about to come out her mouth.

"It's just that- she ruined everything for me. The Ball family completely turned on me because of her." Tears began to escape her eyes.

"I don't think that's her fault-" She cut me off.