safe wit you

"That's crazy man."

"I know. It felt so real and I absolutely hated every second of it."

Fully clothed with his t-shirt and basketball shorts, I exited the bathroom again and plopped down on his bed.

He shook his head and pulled my legs so that I could be closer to him. I ended up in his arms, my legs over his. His warmth allowed me to feel less tense.

"Im sorry you had to go through that. That nightmare shit is crazy. It really can mess you up." He kisses my forehead softly and holds me tighter in his arms.

"But you know what? It got me thinking.." I looked up at him.

"What you mean?"

"How the hell did that fire occur? What was going on for that to happen? Was there someone else..involved," I gasped, "What if it was planned?"

I continued to look at Melo to see his reaction. A confused look then appeared on his face.

"Ion know, Maya. That kinda seem like a far stretch for that shit to be planned. Maybe Kyle was trynna cook or sum," He shrugged his shoulders, "We all knew Kyle couldn't cook for shit."

I gave him a stank face, "What do you mean a far stretch? Anything could've happened!" I released myself from
his grasp.

"All I'm saying is maybe you shouldn't just assume some crazy shit. You need to chill for now until further notice. I don't want nothing to happen to you. Aight?" Melo response did not make me happy.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "I wasn't even assuming. I was just thinking of some scenarios of what could've happened. Is it my fault that I want to know what happened to my brother?" I wasn't slow to let him know how I felt.

"I just want them back." I whispered.

A small sigh was released from behind me but I sat still, in the same place on the king sized bed.

"Baby.. look at me." Melo tried to grab my face but he couldn't see it. I was in front of him.

A warm salty tear fell from my eye and started down my
cheek. I hated being in this state.

Helpless, vulnerable, and so negative.

I pulled away from his touch and crawled off the bed.

"Where you going? Maya?" I reached for the doorknob.

"I just need some air.. so I can think things over."

I didn't dare face him, instead I pulled the door open and quickly shut it behind me.

But the door that separated us still didn't block out his muffled
yells for me.

I ended up sleeping in the guest bedroom. I had to get my shit together.

I tossed for the twentieth time tonight. My phone reflected 4:00am as the time.

I just couldn't sleep.

I didn't mean to blow up in Melo's face but I let my anger out on him anyway. Maybe he was only trying to help the best he could and I understand he doesn't want me to worry about Kyle and Madison but thats my brother and best friend how am I not supposed to worry? But he definitely could have worded hisself differently.

Instead he called me crazy. Kind of.

Part of me felt disappointed that he didn't come looking for me. Maybe he was just tired of me and my bullshit. He probably just wanted a new girlfriend by now. A easier, less difficult one to deal with.