confrontation

Melo let out a gregarious laugh that filled the four cornered room.

I returned his gesture with a blank face.

"Oh shit, you serious?" Melo raised his bushy eyebrows in surprise.

"Yes, Melo. She's the one who started the fire."

I got off of him and he lifted himself off of the bed. He began pacing back in fourth in the dim lighted guest house. I looked down at the duvet that covered the mattress I was sitting on.

I didn't want to believe it either but the evidence was right in front of me. Denise's figure left the corner of the surveillance screen a few minutes before the fire began. It just made sense.

"I think we should tell my parents.. this is something serious."

I just nodded my head and got off the bed.

Once we both put our shoes on, we were headed to the main house.

~

"You gotta be kidding me." Lavar dropped his hands into his face as I relayed the news to him and Tina. They were devastated to say the least.

Denise was a lot of things but never in my life did I think she would be the suspect for an attempted murder.

"I can't believe her." Tina said slowly, shaking her head.

"I just don't understand. Why would she target Kyle? He did nothing to her." A tear slipped from my eye as I questioned my sanity. My best friend had to die because of her. It was her fault.

"I always knew there was something off about that girl. Ever since Zo brung her home. She never sat right with me. She was a distraction for Lonzo and the she got pregnant to top it all off.." he trailed off. I knew Lavar loved his granddaughter, Zoey. But if Zo would have put a condom on.. there would be no ties with that crazy bitch.

"Baby, its gone be okay." Melo grabbed my side and brung me closer to him and began rubbing my back. My breathing was uneven and at this point. I hadn't even noticed. Lavar got up from the couch and began making some calls. I was assuming to the police.

I closed my eyes and rested my head in Melo's lap. I just wanted everything to go back to normal. I felt terrible that Tina and Lavar had to be dragged into this. They had their own children to worry about so this was more added onto their plate.

I heard footsteps from behind the couch.

"Did I miss a family gathering or something?" Gelo asked. I lifted my head and gave him a faint smile.

"Oh wassup family member."

"What's going on yaw?" Gelo was confused as he viewed his father yelling into his phone and his mother with her glasses on, looking through what seemed like important papers.

"Lemme catch you up. Come sit yo ass down." Melo replied to Gelo.

The rest of the night was a blur. All I remembered was Melo carrying me up to his room and away from a restless Lavar and Tina who were trying to find a solution to the problem at hand.

~

"Well. I contacted the police. There's a warrant out for her arrest. Now we just have to tell Zo what's going on here." Lavar said rubbing his face with stress. Guilt washed over me as he looked down and let out a long exhausted sigh.

It was the next day and all of us had woken up bright and early to handle business. Today Lavar and Tina were heading down to the police station to give the officers some more evidence towards the Denise case. While I was at the apartments with Mikey, I had downloaded the footage I found onto a usb flash drive for proof of Denise being the culprit.

It was me, Melo and Gelo's job to tell Lonzo that his baby momma tried to kill his best friend, and my brother.

A ring from the front door signaled that Zo had finally arrived. My heart picked up its pace as Melo got off the couch and wobbled over to the door.

"Shit's about to go down." Gelo said as Zo came into view with baby Zoey in his hand.

"Hey family. What's good?" He said cheerfully greeting us. I felt terrible because he seemed to be in such a great mood..

Shit.

Melo took baby Zoey from his hands and began to play around with her in his arms.

"Hey bro." Gelo got up and dapped him up. Zo looked over Gelo's shoulder and saw Lavar and Tina getting ready to head out the door.

"Wait hold up. Where y'all going in a rush." Zo said laced with confusion. He furrowed his eyebrows, upset that he just arrived and his parents were exiting.

"Son, we're going to the police station." Lavar said as he grabbed his keys to his Rolls Royce. Tina slowly walked over to Zo and placed a kiss on the cheek before they left out the door.

"For what? Yaw better get to explaining." Zo folded his arms and waited for one of us to speak.

"Well.. so you know how there was a fire in Kyle's apartment? Well I went back and reviewed some surveillance footage and I saw.. Denise leaving right after the fire started." I choked out.

I dropped my head.

"Oh my god, she's crazy." I heard Zo sigh, exhaustedly.

"I'm sorry y'all have to deal with my problems.. but-" He cut me off.

"There isn't any reason you should be apologizing. If anything it should be me. Ever since you got to Cali and met us, Denise has been nothing but trouble. I just wanna say sorry, Maya. Our family ain't normal, far from it. But you chose to stick around and even got with this knucklehead over here," Zo pointed to Melo and he chuckled softly, shaking his head.

He was right. There were so many times I could've call it quits with the Ball family. I remember the first time Kyle made me come over here and I wasn't having it. But in the end, I was so glad I came. Im so happy that it was blazing in California so that I could get out of that hot ass car and walk through the doors of the Big Baller estate.

After all, I did get to meet Melo. I truly did love him.. but at times it was scary because it felt like I loved him too much. But then again love is a very dangerous thing, I just had to live with the risks of being betrayed.

"Zo, its okay. I love you guys. I don't know what I would do if hadn't met y'all. I know Denise doesn't favor me but I just don't understand why she would try to go after me or my family. I did nothing to her. Nothing!"

I covered my face with my hands as the tears fell from my eyes. Melo was instantly by my side on the couch, holding me in his arms. I hated crying in front of people. I preferred to do it alone, by myself. It was embarrassing to allow people to see me in such a messy state. Crying never failed to make me feel weak and ugly.

I hated it.

I tried to stiffen my sniffles. I could hear myself and it was so annoying.

"Im sorry." I shake my head as Melo wiped another tear from my face.

"Like I said, there ain't no reason to be sorry." Zo shook his head.

He had his arms crossed as he stood behind the couch in front of us. He didn't want to sit. He was too tense.

I felt Melo's phone vibrate in his pocket and he quickly took it out.

"I gotta.. take this. I'll be back." He hopped off the sofa and just like that, his warmth was gone.

I wonder what he was in a rush for.

-
a/n

just a lil filler

also a heads up for y'all.. this book is gonna be ending soon 🌚

yes there will still be a smut chap. don't worry 🙄

and i also have a new book coming tooo so stay tuned. (its gonna be a melo fanfic)

vote! ⭐️💕