trust

"Wassgood, long time no see." A grinning Mikey opened up his passenger side door for me to hop in.

"Hey thanks for this. I'm sorry this was on such short notice." I shut the door to his red Mustang.

Today I had snuck out of the Ball estate to do some more digging on the whole fire investigation. I wasn't even technically sneaking around Lavar, Tina, or Gelo. I was hiding from my own boyfriend, Melo. I had too. He's been so worried about me. He'd been watching me like a hawk ever since yesterday. Ever since the news about.. Madison, worrying that I might spiral or something.

So this morning I quietly slipped out of his bed and got ready to be on my way. It was pretty easy actually. Melo was a heavy sleeper. He probably couldn't even hear me over his loud ass snores.

"It's all good Maya. Hey, that's what I'm here for." Mikey had grabbed my shoulder and sent a sincere look my way.

"Thank you. You're a good ass friend. I hope you know that." I faintly smiled. He clears his throat and then turns back, facing the steering wheel.

"Alright. You ready to go to these apartments you was talking about?"

I took a deep breath in.

"Yep."
-
"Did you find anything yet?" Mikey popped his head through the doorway of the front rental office.

He made his way in with a bag of Chik-fil-a.

We had been in here for three hours now snooping around on the security cameras. How? Well the landlord was a sweet older lady so the plan was pretty simple.

Get her out of here for a couple of hours so I look through the cameras and see who started the fire. So Mikey and I bribed her with a long ass lunch break. She couldn't have been happier. It was easy really.

So for the past few hours I've sitting at this desk in this uncomfortable ass computer chair looking for any leads as to who or what started this massacre.

I was starting to give up. I had already been through the video footage of the day it happened over a million times. Even though I wanted to I didn't stop.

"Thanks." He handed me a carton of chicken nuggets. He pulled up a chair and sat beside me.

I took a nugget out and nibbled on it. I wasn't really hungry.

I clicked the rewind button on the computer to get ready to rewatch the video again. But while it was rewinding, something caught my eye.

"Wait hold on.. did you see that?" I asked Mikey.

He shook his head, "Nah take it back lemme see."

I did just what he said and that time we both saw it. On the cement of the front entrance laid a hair piece. This must've fell off of the suspect after the fire had begun because they were running. But this color was too familiar..

My hand instantly went over my mouth.

"Oh my god.. Mikey. I know who did it."

It made so much sense now that I was really thinking about it. It all lead back to this person.

"Who?"

I turned around and swallowed the lump in my throat, "Its.."

-

"Where the fuck you been?" Melo beat me to opening the door from the other side. I guess he was waiting for me. This nigga better watch his tone, though. Who the hell does he think he is?

He looked at me then the Mikey who was behind me.

I ignore Melo for the time being.

"Good looks for today. See you later Mikey." I dapped Mikey up and he nodded in response. Only he wasn't looking at me, he was looking at Melo.

I turned my attention back to Melo and he just stood there Glaring at Mikey, then at me once he left.

"You ain't answer my question."

"Out? The hell is wrong with you? You're making it seem like I'm on house arrest or something!"

I wanted to tell him what I was doing but I couldn't.. if I did he probably really would put on house arrest.

"But why won't you tell me what you was doing?"

I walked passed him into the house.

"Because it ain't none of your damn business, Melo. Please just relax.."

"How you gone tell me to to relax when I been sitting up here worrying about your ass all day?!"

I stopped walking and since Melo was hot on my trail, he bumped the back of me. I sighed and turned around.

"I didn't ask you to worry about my 'ass' all day, Melo! Leave me the hell alone for right now. Okay?!" My breathing began to speed up and imaginary sparks began to pour into my vision. I was little lightheaded from not eating that much today.

"It's straight, I guess you don't need me. You got Mikey right? That's yo new man now?" Melo shook his head, looking disappointed.

He was sounding insecure as shit right now.

"Melo.. don't do that." I scoffed in disgust.

Mikey was only a friend. Besides, I never thought of Mikey in that way. Ever. I was all faithful and loyal! I really did love Melo. Mikey was also a 15 year old boy.

"Don't do what?" Call you out? So I'm right?" He began making assumptions sounding dumb as hell.

"Melo, you don't know what the hell you're talking about! I have never in my life agreed with cheating or brung myself to do it! And for you to assume that I jeopardize our relationship for a fifteen year old boy hurts like hell! I don't know what girls you've been with in the past, but I definitely am not one of them! I love you! Why the hell would I do that? Trust is the biggest and most powerful thing you could have in a relationship and if we don't have that. There can't be a we. If you really want to know where I went, I went back to the apartments I used to live in. I didn't want to tell you because I didn't want you to worry. There. Is that what your nosy ass wanted?" Once I was finished, hot tears were streaming down my face. Melo had been looking down the whole time scratching the back of his head.

"Im sor-"

I turned around and walked away from him. I didn't want to hear an apology right now. I really just needed some space.