A Rude Awakening

Brunswick Farm Night

After everyone had finished their meals, almost all of them entered the living room, preparing to get some rest. Still uneasy of the idea, knowing how the previous residents of the farm had died.

Ruby, who peaked her head into the room, being her usual self, she worried about everyone's mental conditions, especially her uncle's. The leader turned to the entrance, where her uncle sat on a chair by the window, with multiple empty bottles of alcohol next to him.

Qrow: The storm's clearing up, we should be able to leave in the morning. You go get some sleep, I'll wake you guys before sunrise.

His niece was about to leave but turned to ask him how he was coping with everything, but he merely scoffed at her question and responding with a simple 'yeah'. Ruby doubted his answer but she just left to the living, to tell everyone the news.

Qrow was about to take another swig of alcohol, but was stopped by a sudden voice.

???: You know she just worried about you, Qrow.

He slowly spun his head to greet Shirou, that was sat on the staircase, staring at the pro-huntsman. Qrow silently growled at him, turning back to face the window.

Qrow: Oh, it's you. What do you want? Shouldn't you be getting to sleep, Kid.

Shirou knew that the huntsman didn't want to talk, since his tone of speaking had hints of spite, sarcasm and venom towards him. But Shirou insisted, getting up and walking to his side.

Shirou: Unfortunately, I'll also be pulling an all nighter.

Qrow: Huh?

Shirou: Ever since we entered this place, my powers have been going on the fritz, activating and misfiring at random times. Like when Maria asked me to display my magic, I almost cut her in half. So I can't risk losing control in my sleep, so until we leave, I'll be staying awake.

Qrow: Ah, Okay. Since you're on night watch with me, why not make yourself useful and grab me a couple bottles from the mini bar. It'll be a long night.

Shirou: Make myself useful? Sure.

He walked up to the door, grabbing onto the doorknob and forcefully removing it from the door, permanently locking the room. Qrow heard the noise of the knob being ripped out, turning to face Shirou.

Qrow: What the hell happened?!

Shirou: I'm my reinforcement magic misfired and I ripped off the handle from the door, sorry.

The Huntsman, refused to take his apology as condolence for the loss of his free alcohol. He got up and threw a punch at Shirou's face, but the red hair easily ducked the attack, causing Qrow to slam his fist into the broken door.

Qrow was about to try again, but a third party interrupted his fury towards the boy.

Maria: What in the name of the Two Brothers, are you doing?!

The two turned to face the short elderly woman, tapping on her cybernetic eyes. Holding her cane and one of the books from the living room.

Maria: You'll wake up the children if you continue this petty game! I expected better from a pair huntsmen. Fighting over booze, how shameful.

Qrow just huffed at the elderly woman, returning back to his seat, grumping something as he stared outside. Shirou gave his thanks to Maria and was about to make his way to the empty room.

However, Maria stopped him for a second. Walking into the the dark dinning room with the red hair.

Shirou: So can I help you?