45. Unpleasant Surprise

"Anna, don't forget. Tonight's Parker's bachelor party. A few of his close friends are gonna be coming over pretty soon and they'll probably be here for the whole night. I'm headed over to Lorenzo's. I'm gonna let the boys have the house to themselves tonight." My mom carefully draped her olive green jacket over her exposed shoulders and picked up her purse that was sitting contently on the granite kitchen counter top. "See you later, sweetie. I'll be back tomorrow morning." She trotted over towards the kitchen table where I was sitting and pressed her lips against my forehead. I couldn't help myself from admiring her natural beauty. I sure hoped that I would look like that when I'm fifty years old. It was refreshing to see my mom happy again. I don't remember seeing her this happy in a very long time. 

"Okay mom. Have fun. Love you." I said as I refocused my attention to the unopened human anatomy book that was lying in front of me. I was supposed to be studying for a big test that we were having next week that could either make or break my grade, but I just couldn't force myself to do it. There was way too much on my mind to handle school right now. Whoever said that senior year was the easiest must of been a compulsive liar. This year had by far been the most stressful, both academically and on a personal level. 

I glanced down at the quote that I always kept presented on the very front of my binder.

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."

In life, we are given a limit. That "limit" holds us back from accomplishing all of our dreams, aspirations, and goals. That "limit" could expire at anytime. That "limit" is death. No one knows when or how you're going to die. But one things for certain, you will die. I know it may seem morbid by saying this, but it's the cold truth. It's something that you have to learn to accept. Once you accept the idea that you are in no control over when you'll die, how you'll die or even where you'll die, you'll soon realize that life is very precious. We are only given one life to live. That clock of life is always ticking. Tick tock. Tick tock. You are one minute closer to death then you were a minute ago. So, why waste anytime? Make every second worth it. If you have a goal in life to become an international pop-star, pursue it. If you have a goal in life to be the valedictorian of your graduating high school class, pursue it. If you have a goal in life to be happy, pursue it. The only thing stopping you from accomplishing all of your goals is you.

Don't waste your life. 

Live your life.

Live your life the way you want to.

Parker's thunderous voice appeared from around the corner of the other room. "Hey ya kid." 

"Hi! Are you excited for tonight?" I placed the eraser of my pencil on the tip of my mouth and peered at Parker who was gussying up in the mirror. He looked old. Real old. I couldn't actually process the fact that in less than nine months, I would have a new sister in law and a niece or nephew. Just thinking about all of the upcoming things in my life made me happy. There truly was so many things to be grateful for. 

"You have no idea. Hey, if we get too loud just let us know. You know my friends.. they tend to get a little.....rambunctious." He laughed. My eyes followed him as he moved his body in a swift fashion towards the couch to take a seat. 

I let out a giggle. "Definitely. Try not to go too crazy."

"No guarantees." The doorbell rang. "Oh, someone's here already." He jumped up from the plush couch and jogged to the door. I decided it would be best if I were to go upstairs to my room so I didn't interfere with any of their bachelor party shenanigans.