6. Start of something new

"Jack, would you please come in here?" My mom hollered from the kitchen.

I couldn't believe this was actually happening. It all happened so fast. I just hoped I wouldn't regret bringing him home later on. 

Jack walked in with a large smile pressed on his face. "What can I do for you Mrs. Porter?" It was weird seeing him interact with my mom. He was so respectful towards her. 

"Anna just informed me of your situation and -" My mom started to speak. 

"Oh. I'm sorry. I'll leave if me being here makes you uncomfortable." Jack began to back away with guilt. His hands were up as if he was being accused of a crime. 

"It's not that! I just wanted to let you know that we have quite a few guest bedrooms and we would be more than happy if you stayed here with us for a couple days." My Mom said.

I watched Jack's puzzled face try to respond. 

"Y-y-you mean you're offering me a place to stay?" He stuttered. 

"That's exactly what I'm doing! I won't take no for an answer. A young man your age shouldn't be spending his life on the streets. Look, I don't know how you ended up there, and it's none of my business, but it would be crazy rude of me not to offer." She went in for a hug. Jack did nothing but stare into nowhere as if he was in shock. His eyes were wider than an owls. 

"Aren't you going to say thank you?" I said as I punched him hard in the arm. Ouch, that hurt my hand.

"I-I-I- Wow. Thank you. Nobody has ever done something like this for me. Honestly, thank you so much Mrs. Porter. This means the absolute world to me." I watched him as he hugged my Mom tightly.

"Get some rest, Jack. Anna, go show him his room, would you?" 

Was this actually happening? Was this a dream? It all felt so.. not real. Just a few hours ago I barely knew the kid and now he is temporarily living in the same house as me. All I kept thinking about was how I hoped I hadn't made a huge mistake by bringing him here. Although, it felt extremely good and satisfying to help someone in need. 

"Follow me.. Guess what we're doing tomorrow?" I asked with bright and eager eyes.

"What.?" He hesitantly replied. His eyebrows scrunched. 

"We're going shopping!" I replied with a wide smile. My enthusiasm was extremely apparent. 

Jack looked at me and laughed. "No, we definitely aren't." 

I took him down the hall to the third door on the left, directly across from my room. 

"Well, this is it." I opened the door and gave him a small tour. 

"Wait, this room has it's own bathroom? No way!"

"Uh, yeah.

Jack looked as if he had won the lottery. He couldn't stop smiling. I just couldn't wait to get him out of those disgusting clothes and get him a haircut. A shower would be nice too.

"I'll leave, you should shower and get ready for bed. There should be some of Parker's old clothes in the closet for you to wear tonight." I subtly gestured, hoping the next time I would see him he would smell of men's axe body wash and dressed in fresh, clean clothes. As I began to exit the room, his large hand grabbed my arm, haulting my body into an abrupt stop. 

"Thank you. For this. I never expected someone would ever do something this nice, just for me." He shrugged and put his hands in his pant's pockets. 

"No biggie. Get some rest." I closed the door behind me and went to my room.

No more than 2 minutes after I left, I heard the shower starting from his room. I smiled with relief.

"Thank god." I said to myself with a laugh.

A/N: Chapter 7/8 will be up soon. Going to start making the chapters with more caution and detail; meaning that it'll take longer to publish them. :) I truly hope you all are enjoying.