39. For Good

Today was the day I would officially say goodbye to my best friend.

It was the day of her funeral.

Jeremy and I were on our way to the church where the funeral was taking place. I had been dreading this day since the night that I found out Waverly had died. Funerals are never fun. However, having Jeremy by my side provided me with a sense of comfort. Jeremy and I's relationship was thriving. Consequently, I couldn't tell if I actually liked him or if he was just a rebound from Jack. Either way, I genuinely enjoyed every second Jeremy and I shared together. It almost felt like I was still with Jack because of their identical appearances. 

I can't quite wrap my mind around Jack's crude behavior lately. What has gotten into him? Ever since the night of the party, his personality has made a drastic turn for the worst. I felt like I hardly knew him anymore. Maybe he meant more to me than I meant to him. I honestly thought I was in love with the kid. Actually, I was in love. Heck, I still am in love. I was just extremely disappointed in his recent actions and behavior towards me. If he were to apologize, I would forgive him in a heart beat. Seeing him with Penelope made my heart ache even more than it already did.

Penelope. I don't understand. He told me he only dated her because she was a distraction from me. Was that just a lie? Or was he just trying to get back at me for getting close to Jeremy? Either way, he was being a total douche. A hypocritical douche. He didn't have an excuse for being a douche. I'm the victim. Not him. I was the one who walked in on him cheating on me.

"You think you're going to be OK?" Jeremy asked, his eyes were intensely focused on the road in front of him. His hand rested on the top of the steering wheel. He was referring to Waverly's funeral.

"Yeah. I should be fine." I muttered, staring outside the window watching the white snow fall gently to the ground. Jeremy kept his left hand on the steering wheel and used his right hand to tightly hold mine. 

"Just know that I'll always be here for you, Blondie. No matter what. It'll get better, I promise. I know how it feels to lose someone you love." He gazed at me with his mystifying hazel eyes for a short second. His thumb grazed the top of my hand. The warmth of it put me in a state of ease. 

"I know, I know. Thank you, Jeremy. At least you care about me." I sighed.

"Forget about my brother. I know it'll be hard.. But he fucking cheated on you. You deserve better. You got me now." He said with a half smile. 

Jeremy parked in the closest parking spot he could find. It was already crowded. Waverly was a very well-liked person. Almost the whole town was rumored to show up to her funeral today, hence the overly crowded parking lot. 

This is exactly how Waverly would of wanted her funeral to be. As I walked into the chapel, the soundtrack from Wicked was playing over the speakers. I let out a small smile because of how much it reminded me of her. Her lifeless body laid in a beautifully crafted casket that was at the end of the long, narrow, aisle. I grasped onto Jeremy's hand tighter and made my way closer to the front, taking a seat in the very front row next to Mr. and Mrs. Splice who sat there, lifelessly, staring at their dead daughter. Teardrops were unconsciously sliding down my face. I leaned my head against Jeremy's muscular shoulder and peered at her lifeless body.  Jeremy's arm gently stroked my back. He repeatedly whispered, "It's okay" into my ear.

-

Halfway through the funeral, a disturbance of noise arose from the back of the chapel. I slyly peeked over my shoulder to discover Jack, Penelope, and Sammy recklessly entering the room.