Chapter 21: A Close Call

/21/
A Close Call

---

THERE ARE many phrases that can be used to describe how a trapped person would feel. If one were to ask what Ann Lobris would use, she would definitely say that the idiom, "stuck in a fix" would suit her current predicament best.

As she slammed the limousine door shut behind her and stepped onto Castillo High's grounds, she let out a strangled noise that sounded like a mixture of a groan and a sigh. It was Thursday morning, the day after the socialite party. And even though the young girl insisted she was fine with Kuya Norman and Kuya Jed escorting her to school, she was however, not keen with the idea that both her parents annoyingly tagged along. 

"Gusto lang namin masigurado na safe ka." Her mother insisted earlier this morning. Kahit na anong pilit ng dalaga na sabihin sa kanilang dalawa na maayos siyang maihahatid ng kanilang family butler ay masusunod pa rin naman ang kagustuhan ng kaniyang magulang.

"You'd think I was a toddler being sent to preschool." Ann said sarcastically, walking towards the soccer field which was still empty. The early morning sky was streaked with different shades of blue, purple and yellow, as the sun barely rose from behind the wisps of clouds. Everything felt misty as even the grounds were still covered in the morning fog.

Students were also scarcely up from their dormitories, making the academe feel calm, peaceful, but also empty

Students were also scarcely up from their dormitories, making the academe feel calm, peaceful, but also empty. It was a rather relaxing feeling, and for once, Ann felt free as she trudged amidst the field, and through the fog.

By the time she had arrived at the other end of the field where a patch of trees were clustered together, she can see the misty figures of two young ladies.

"There you are." Sambit ni Ann nang makita niya ang kaniyang dalawang dormmates. This particular orchard  was a hidden spot behind the school soccer field, and was actually a restricted area as it led towards the forest and eventually to the Atramento Sea. Because no one ever rarely goes to this spot, dito nila napag-desisyunan kagabi na magkita-kita upang mapag-usapan ang kanilang magiging plano.

"Good morning to you too," Queenie, who was clad in a wool sweater and leaning against one of the trees, remarked. Sera on the other hand, ignored Ann's arrival as she was busy powdering her nose.

"Wala pa yung mga lalaki?" Kunot-noong tanong ni Ann na napatingin sa kanilang paligid. The whole orchard was just as foggy, but this time, the vibe felt more eerie than calming.

She then shook away the feeling and checked the time using her wristwatch. "It's already five minutes past 5:30." Ann frowned.

"Alam mo naman yung mga tamad na 'yun." Sera scoffed, now curling her eyelashes. "Those jackasses could have all the time in the world, and they'd still choose to be late."

Ann chuckled before turning to Queenie who was trying to warm herself up. The curly-haired girl had a faraway look in her face.

"You okay?" She asked, standing beside her.