Chapter 29: Hunters and Foxes

/29/
Hunters and Foxes

---

IT WAS a rather grim atmosphere that Thursday morning as Rein walked across the campus, overhearing snippets of conversation between Castillians everywhere he went.

"Sino kaya yung pumasok sa girls' dormitory noh?"

"Oo nga eh. Nakakatakot tuloy, baka kung sino palang sumisilip sa'tin nang hindi namalalayan."

"I heard the school admins were contemplating on hiring guards stationed at all dormitories."

"Talaga?? Nako, mas mainam nga siguro."

"Oo, lalo na ngayon na 'di pa rin nahuhuli yung salarin sa likod ng Writers' Schism Case."

Rein quietly cleared his throat as he passed by, trying to ignore the rumors and making it seemed as if he didn't care.

After all, for all he knew, the culprit was amongst these gossipers, trying to fuel as much fake news as possible to distract the student body. Kaya sa ngayon, mas mainam talaga na huwag muna silang gumalaw na magkakaibigan, not until they would have a foolproof plan in catching the culprit.

In the meantime while they waited for the perfect opportunity to pounce, Rein had taken the whole time yesterday to focus on their novel, just as he and Ann had agreed upon.

Turning to the hallway, the young man went to the rows of lockers lined by the walls, opening his own locker.

To his surprise, there was a small package waiting inside the small metal box, sitting on top of his textbooks.

Agad na naging seryoso ang mukha ng binata.

"Is this another threat?" He told himself, curiously picking up the brown parcel box.

The serious crease on his forehead soon disappeared when he noticed the card atop the box had a little note written on it.

Never thought I'd give a Maccio a present but here I am. Enjoy.

- A

A look of surprise spread across Rein's face as he reread the note a second time. Hindi ineexpect ng binata na ito ang bubungad sa kaniyang umaga.

Nevertheless, he placed the card back on the locker before opening the box.

Inside was a hard external drive and an Agatha Christie book entitled, "And Then There Were None".

A cocky grin soon tugged the corner of his lips, but he immediately coughed, shaking his head and closing the box before anyone could see why he was smiling at something that seemed like a gift.

"Oh great, here comes señorita perfecta Ann Lobris." A girl a few lockers away from where Rein was, snorted to her two friends. "So perfect, but always alone. I'm betting that one has a lot of secrets."

Dahil dito ay napalingon ang binata sa dalaga na naglalakad papunta sa kanilang classroom.

Ann had noticed him looking, raising an eyebrow at him before rolling his eyes.

Rein couldn't help but smirk.

He took a mental note to thank his rival later with an annoying remark.

---

As much as the others were slightly enjoying putting up an act of ignorance to the others to throw off anyone who was watching them, Queenie on the other hand, was having a more uncomfortable time.

Though she felt more confident than she was a few days ago, and despite the fact that no girl now dared to harass or or talk behind her back, Queenie seemed to be restless.