Chapter 19: Intricate Leads

/19/
Intricate Leads

---

THE TENSION that day hung in the air even as Jarrell and Quinn had entered their dormitory room. Almost everyone in Castillo High was distraught — but the four who were sent to their rooms were the ones feeling the most perplexed.

"Professor Zaldiga should've stopped him." Jarrell said in frustration, slamming the door shut behind him. "He should've stopped him, so why didn't he stop him?!"

"Jarrell," Quinn muttered, heading to his room. "Ryder Elias Maccio is a prominent public figure — ten times richer than any of us, whether we like it or not. Professor Zaldiga was wise not to get involved; simply because the professor is no match for a powerful man such as Rein's father."

"He's a coward then." Jarrell spat back, but Quinn already had too much on his mind to answer back.

Plopping down on his bed, Quinn let out a sigh before surveying his room. Halos wala nang laman ang kaniyang kwarto lalo na't karamihan sa kaniyang mga kagamitan ang nasira dahil sa vandalism na nangyari. Unlike Rein and Jarrell who could easily replace their things and clothes with one snap of their fingers, it wasa lot more difficult for Quinn.

The young olive-skinned boy would rather save money for his future instead of replacing his ruined items. Hindi naman kasi kasing-privileged ni Quinn ang kaniyang mga kaibigan.

Looking down, he then glanced towards his own journal that he had neatly placed on top of his bed after fixing his room.

Inside the notebook, a flyer could be seen sticking out.

Quinn pursed his lips as he grabbed his journal to open it and check out the flyer once more.

Sobrang raming gumugulo sa isip ng binata nitong mga nakaraang araw. He was after all, impulsively pulled into a mess that he didn't want to be associated with in the first place, and still struggling to maintain his academic image as a scholar of the academe.

Napabuntong-hininga ang binata at saka tinitigan ang flyer na hawak-hawak niya. It was a poster about the upcoming 2018 TechnoKids Cup — a quiz bee competition for computer whizzes like him.

Quinn had already registered for the said competition that was happening three days from now, but with everything that was happening with their investigation and his friends' well-being, he wasn't so sure if he should push through with it.

Napamasahe sa sentindo ang binata bago inadjust ang kaniyang specs. Sure, he was extremely worried about Rein since he was his best friend, and he promised that he would help in the immediate progress of their investigation, but Quinn felt so conflicted.

Napatingin muli ang binata sa flyer. This competition, like the Writers' Schism, was also held annually. In fact, ever since he had became a Castillian, Quinn was already interested in joining the TechnoKids Cup, looking forward to joining the contest every year.

But every year as well, his plans were always thwarted.

Sa unang taon niya bilang junior high school student sa Castillo High, kasa-kasama niya si Jarrell at Rein bawat minuto. Wherever they were, Quinn would be there too. Unfortunately, the TechnoKids Cup that year was held at the same time Rein celebrated his birthday, and of course, Quinn couldn't say no to that.

Sa second year naman nila bilang mga sophomores, ay hindi rin nagkaroon ng tiyansa si Quinn na sumali dahil sinuportahan nila ni Rein si Jarrell sa kaniyang speech sa celebratory party ng kaniyang tatay na nanalo muli sa eleksyon bilang mayor ng Ylando City.