Chapter 40: The Campus Sleuths

/40/
The Campus Sleuths

---

THERE WAS a scent of defiance in the air as Annaliese sat at the back of the Lobris' limousine, a small smile plastered on her face.

"Out of all the people you tried to dupe us with, you chose to connive with a Maccio!" Her mother, who was seated beside her, flared up angrily. Ann merely tried to bow her head to hide her expression.

"The fact that you chose to disobey your own parents is already concerning enough, Annaliese." The attorney added sternly, with the same disappointed tone in her voice. "I ought to ground you, young lady!"

But this time, Ann didn't falter. Tumahimik lamang ang dalaga, letting her mother speak over her like she had always have.

For some unknown reason, Ann was actually more terrified of her father, who had become quiet ever since her little act of rebellion back at the principal's office. The senator's silence was more aggravating than her mother's anger — as if it was the calm before the storm.

"Alejandro!" Yamot na sambit ng ina ng dalaga habang patuloy lamang sa pagda-drive si Kuya Jed, ang kanilang driver, papunta sa kanilang mansyon.

"Don't you have anything to say to your daughter?!" Attorney Gracielle Lobris reprimanded her silent husband in front.

There was a quiet tension in the air as everyone waited for the senator to speak.

"I'll be speaking to her alone." The senator finally announced as he shifted in his seat, the limousine arriving through the gates of the Lobris mansion.

Nothing but silence soon followed thereafter as the driver parked the vehicle into the vast garage. No one spoke either as they stepped down from the car, the corporate lawyer immediately tending to various business calls as she entered the mansion's hall, whilst Ann followed her father into his office, the smug smile on her lips earlier had now turned grim.

"Close the door." Her father instructed as soon as they had stepped inside the room, Ann wondering whether she had truly fucked up this time.

"I'm confiscating your credit and debit cards." The senator announced as he sat on his large cushioned office chair, which reminded Ann of a king's throne.

Nakaharap lamang sa kaniyang ama ang dalaga. "Fine by me." Ann said coldly. "You don't let me buy anything using it anyway."

"I'm not finished, young lady." The senator muttered under his breath as he clasped his fingers into what looked like a prayer position — tucked under his chin as he scrutinized his young daughter.

"Since you're hell-bent on joining a useless organization that would offer nothing to your credentials in the long run to the point of blatantly disobeying me, then I have no choice but to let you do as you wish." The senator said quietly, and there was a clear rise in Ann's chest as she blinked at her father.

"Thank you da—"

"BUT." He interjected. Agad na nawala ang ngiting nagbabadya mula sa labi ng dalaga.

"Because you've decidedly embarrassed me and your mother in front of the school admins, as well as defied us by agreeing to further associate yourself with a Maccio, whose clan has disrespected our family name for years now," he held his breath, shaking his head. "I'm taking away our deal. I don't care if you win the Writers' Schism with Reagan's son — I will dictate what course and university you'll take and that is that. Do you understand me?"

"But—"

"You'll be taking up the ABM strand in your Senior High and pursue Accountancy in college Annaliese — tapos na ang usapan. I don't want to hear any complaints from you. I don't know if you've realized, but it's your responsibility to continue building the Lobris name as my only child. So I suggest you force that into your mind." Matigas na sambit ng senator, as Ann glanced down to her feet.