Chapter 14: Maccio Legacy

/14/
Maccio Legacy

---

RAINDROPS TRAILED down the glass panes of the boys' dormitory as Rein stood by the window — gazing down at the dark, foggy grounds of the campus.

From afar he can just barely see the outline of the buildings. In the center was the main Castillo building, looking shadowy underneath the rain. On both sides of it were the junior high and senior high buildings that seemed to shelter the main building. At the left part, Rein could faintly see the damp soccer field, whilst the gymnasium could be seen by the right.

As he continued gazing upon the fields, a strike of lightning pierced through the night sky, followed by a roar of thunder from a distance. Pursing his lips, the young man raised his arm and lowered the sleeve of his uniform to see the time on his wristwatch. It was already past curfew. Despite the stormy weather, it was time for him to visit their hideout.

Isinara na ng binata ang kurtina at naglakad patungo sa hat stand malapit sa pintuan at kinuha ang kaniyang itim na raincoat na nakasabit roon.

"Sa'n ka nanaman pupunta?" Tanong ni Jarrell na biglang sumilip mula sa kanilang kusina habang isinusuot ni Rein ang raincoat. The smell of popcorn wafted through their dorm as rain continued slashing on their windows. Balak kasi ng mga binata na manood ng horror movie ngayong gabi.

"Oo nga? Kala ko ba manonood tayo?" Dagdag ni Quinn na nakaupo sa may sahig at inaayos ang kanilang mga CDs at DVDs na nakalatag. Quinn then picked up a CD cover of a very frightening doll and waved it in the air. "Ito na papanoorin natin ha?" He grinned before opening the CD player.

"Ha? Ba't 'yan?!" Pagmamaktol ni Jarrell na muling sumilip mula sa kusina. "'Di naman nakakatakot 'yan!"

"Talaga lang ha?" Quinn said sarcastically before throwing the CD cover towards Jarrell who yelped in horror.

"Putangina ka, Quinston!" Sigaw ni Jarrell habang humahagikgik ng malakas si Quinn. Rein on the other hand, chuckled while putting the coat's hood over his head.

"Magkikita lang kami saglit ni Ann." Bilin ni Rein sa dalawa na napatingin muli sa kaniya. "Don't worry." He grinned, seeing their faces. "I'm not doing anything stupid. Besides, babalik rin naman ako agad."

"Ba't kasi 'di nalang kayo magkita dito?" Yamot ni Jarrell. "May libreng popcorn pa siya oh."

"It's too risky." Rein answered, glancing at them before looking away. Hindi pa niya nasasabi sa dalawa niyang kaibigan na iniimbestigahan nila ang kaso ng mga missing entries, and that Sera had joined along their little plan.

He would have to tell them some other time, when things aren't as hectic.

"Don't start the movie without me." Rein grinned before closing the door behind him. He then made sure that the other dormitory rooms were closed and the hallways were empty before jogging down the stairs.

In no time, he then ran out into the cold, wet night with his little limp; bracing the dark with only the small beam of his flashlight.

Nang nakarating na ang binata sa tahimik na junior high school building ay bigla itong nakarinig ng yabag ng paa. The young man immediately pressed his back flatly on the wall, rain streaming down from his raincoat down to his damp shoes.

It's already midnight. Sinong gising pa? He asked himself, struggling to quiet his ragged breathing. With a brave face, he then slowly turned to peek into the hallway where the footsteps where coming from.

Agad itong napabalik sa kaniyang pwesto nang makita si vice principal Leila Castillo na naglalakad papunta sa kaniyang direksiyon.

Mas lalong bumilis ang tibok ng puso ng binata at agad na bumalik sa kaniyang posisyon upang hindi masilayan.