Chapter 6: Unexpected Truce

/6/
Unexpected Truce

---

SILENCE ENVELOPED the room as the two brilliant students stared hard at the registration sheet in front of them. Nothing but the sound of thunder could be heard from miles.

"There's been a misunderstanding professor." Rein said, being the first one to speak by the time he had digested the evidence before them. He then straightened his back, fixating a firm gaze upon the director of Literary Studies.

Professor Wyanna's face scrunched up in confusion as she glanced back and forth at the two. "I beg your pardon?" She asked in disbelief.

"You see, profe—"

"Actually professor," Ann immediately interjected, drowning Rein's voice. Nagulat ang binata nang bigla siyang hinawakan ng dalaga sa braso. Mahigpit ang kaniyang kamay na para bang pinipigilan niya ito na magsalita.

Agad na kumunot ang noo ni Rein as his eyes moved from her hand, to his hand.

"What are you doing?" He whispered, but his rival merely ignored him.

"Medyo naguguluhan lang po kasi kami." The young lady said sweetly, tightening her grasp onto Rein.

The young man immediately snapped his head up, turning to look at Ann with suspicion. Mas lalong kumunot ang mukha ng binata.

"And why is that, pray tell?" The professor asked haughtily, both eyebrows raised at the two students.

"May rumor po kasi na kumakalat sa campus, and we came here out of concern." Ann lied expertly as Rein narrowed his eyes at her. "People are talking about how I was paired with Javier Dizon in the Writers' Schism, which of course horrified me professor — that boy couldn't write as much as he couldn't settle down for one girl!"

"What?!" Rein muttered, ngunit hinila lamang ito ng dalaga papalapit sa kaniya, forcing him to shut up.

"And your point is?" The professor asked once more with a sigh, removing her half-moon glasses.

"Well, we just wanted to clarify and ensure na talagang kaming dalawa nga po ni Rein ang mag-partners — kasi baka po nagkaroon ng pagkakamali ang board during the registration without our knowledge. Mahirap na po at baka totoo pala ang mga chika." Pagpapaliwanag ni Ann, still smiling sweetly and holding Rein as prison. "Alam niyo naman po dito sa Castillo High profes—"

"The board has no room for mistakes, Miss Lobris." Matigas na sambit ng propesor, leaning forward which intimidated the two.

"You're absolutely correct, professor." Ann nodded somberly. "And for that, we apologize for ever doubting the board. We will now leave professor, thank you for your time."

Rein couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"B-But—" The young boy stammered, but Ann was already greeting the professor goodbye and had quickly pulled him out of the office before he could even have the chance to refute anything.

"Are you mad?? What the hell was that about?!" Rein hissed by the time they were out in the hallway and Ann had slammed the door shut behind them. Agad niyang tinanggal ang hawak ni Ann sa kaniya at pinatong ang kaniyang dalawang kamay sa balikat ng dalaga. His eyes were ablazed.

"Our families hate each other." He blinked furiously. "Hindi mo ba naiisip yung consequences ng ginawa mo?!"

Ann rolled her eyes. "Maccio, hindi ako bobo okay? I am very much aware about the feud between our families. Hindi ako pinanganak kahapon." She snorted.